We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

14.7.23

The Writing Prompt

Be inspired by a great opening line – a compelling, 

fantastic opening line — she said, quoting 150 beginnings 

of novels.  But it’s lines of poems that spring to my mind. 

‘The Assyrian came down like a wolf on the fold,  

And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;’

or, ‘The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees.  

The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas. 

The road was a ribbon of darkness over the purple moor,  

And the highwayman came riding — Riding —’


And I wonder what it is in me, that thrills to these dramas 

of violence.  I cast my thoughts further, and find

‘Break, break, break, On thy cold grey stones, O Sea!

And I would  that my tongue could utter The thoughts

that arise in me’ or, ‘The wind doth blow today, my love,  

And a few small drops of rain; I never had but one true love, 

In cold grave she was lain’  — moving away from violence

but retaining tragedy. Why don’t I go for softness, beauty?
But I suppose an arresting opener needs some drama.


I always found, ‘Let us go then, you and I’ enticing.

Sounds like fun, adventure, without all the death and such.

But then he goes on, and it turns out he’s inviting me to see

‘the evening … spread out against the sky Like a patient

etherized upon a table;’ ugh! and then into ‘sawdust restaurants’

and ‘one-night cheap hotels’. Or there’s Yeats, also talking 

of departure: ‘I shall arise and go now ….’ heading for a sweet 

and peaceful place, soothing. But possibly boring.


When all’s said and done, I think I’ll stick to Byron, Tennyson 

et al, with all their thumping heroics and wrenching doom, 

rather than Eliot’s squalor (though his too is an opening line 

that sticks in the memory) or even Yeats’s soporific retreat. 

In real life I might be timid and law-abiding. Let literature 

thrill me with calls to adventure. Let it stir my blood! 

Oh, ‘I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea 

and the sky, And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by …’



Quotations, in order, are from:

'The Destruction of Sennacherib,' Byron
'The Highwayman,' Alfred Noyes
'Break, Break, Break,' Tennyson 
'The Unquiet Grave,' Anonymous

'The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock,' T.S. Eliot

'The Lake Isle of Innisfree,' W.B. Yeats

'Sea-Fever,' John Masefield


Written for Friday Writings #85 at Poets and Storytellers United.






26 comments:

  1. Love this walk through some of the classics! I think I like the Tennyson opening lines the most, but tomorrow it will definitely be Prufrock. And now I'm staring at Agha Shahid Ali's book on my table thinking I must read all the opening lines after this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to do, all from memory, just as they occurred to me.

      Delete
    2. "Rosemary". Just the name bouncing around with some others in corners of my poetry channels of mind, you seem to come to the top. Top of the small pile of the writers who mingle with us on the internet. Seems poetry has been your life, your tutors. I probably am the sow's ear. I know several of those writers's names. And when I traveled to a town of an renowned author's home town, a couple I've bought their "complete poetry works", Burns and Shakespeare. An Eliot little book on cats and Twain's Comlpete "Letters from abroad". No lines from them gavdcome to my memory, just thinking, "O captIn, o captain" and other parcels do.
      I've boored you, it's early here, I'm sittinh on the edge of my bed, smart phone in writing you, I was so very impressed.by those shares you've divulged. Never heard begore your lo e by Yeats, " I shall arise and go now ….’ heading for a sweet and peaceful place, soothing. But possibly boring."
      Thank you.
      ..


      Delete
    3. Dear Jim, I promise you never bore me!! Yes, poetry has been my life from a very early age. My dad used to read me and my little brother poems for bedtime stories. That's when I first heard some of these, e.g. The Highwayman and Sea-Fever. 'O Captain! my Captain!' is a pretty good opening line too, and poem.

      Delete
  2. I can relate to what pulls you into the pages. "Heading for a sweet and peaceful place" is a touch boring compared to "the moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas", probably partly because the second paints a strong picture while the first is tepid and does not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, that was my paraphrase of Yeats's poem; his own lines are much more seductive and sensual.

      Delete
    2. Yes, but I see your point. And now, come to think of it, it seems to me that Innisfree and Neverland have some things in common. :)

      Delete
  3. I love and know the lines you have chosen. Why aren't you drawn to the soft and beautiful? Too many years in Melbourne luv LOL.....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that was wonderful! I felt chills reading the first lines of The Highwayman. It suddenly took me to 8th grade (when I spent 6 months in a British school in Spain) when the class had to memorize parts and recite them. And, The Love Song of J. Alfred..." Always loved it! Then, my father's favorite poem, The Lake Isle of Innisfree. I think he would have loved to live the life of the narrator. Thank you for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to have sparked those memories for you! My father also loved The Lake Isle of Innisfree, but his very favourite was Masefield's Sea-Fever. I grew up hearing those opening lines quoted often. And his reading aloud of both The Highwayman and Innisfree absolutely did them justice.

      Delete
  5. There is something about "heroics and wrenching doom" that gets the reading juices going, isn't it? Violence isn't pretty in stories (or life), but it always feeds me a sense of hope, a feeling that in the story/poem/life there will be someone fighting back.

    Love this, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's what makes the difference between heroism and thuggery.
      I also thrill to the strains of The Marseillaise. The words (when translated into English, anyway) are really revoltingly bloodthirsty, but the music is incredibly stirring and so is the whole idea of the French Revolution throwing off centuries of tyranny (even though it later descended, in its turn, to excesses of power corrupting).

      Delete
  6. How delightful, the way you combined these lines ... we played the French National Anthem at our weekly gathering last evening. Cheers to you, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will never be able to do this, quoting so many great lines from the classics. In fact, I dreaded Shakespeare, as it was exam material. I can stand Byron, Keats, Tennyson in school and I know Blake's "Jerusalem" by heart because a rock band sang about it. In later years I drifted towards the American writers and finally towards contemporary writers. I guess that's called 'evolution' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came from a poetry-loving family, so I encountered most of these for the first time in the home rather than the school, read aloud by a father who loved them and savoured the language. I'm sure that made a big difference. And perhaps it's the reason these lines sprang so readily to mind. I too eventually 'drifted towards the American writers and finally towards contemporary writers.'

      Delete
  8. Hi Rosemary, I love your write and social commentary here! Especially the lines:

    "In real life I might be timid and law-abiding. Let literature
    thrill me with calls to adventure. Let it stir my blood!" <3

    I also find the line ‘Let us go then, you and I’ enticing! I might drop it into conversation at some point today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is so well done and to think that it was from memory great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have re-read them quite often over the years.

      Delete
  10. Great first lines, that urge you to read on!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!