We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

12.10.23

Crone Conversations


We elder daughters of Divine Mother,

meet in circle today for earth healing

and to explore the concept of ether

(spirit). This soon leads us to revealing

stories – which others may be concealing –

of life existing beyond the physical:

our own journeys into the mystical,

and messages, even visitations,

from loved ones who have now left this little

span of a life, this sphere of sensation.


‘So why do we need this meat sack?’ one asks. 

‘I love bodies,’ I say, ‘even this one,

now ageing.’ ‘It’s not for serious tasks 

you came in,’ she decides, ‘but to have fun.’ 

‘Yes!’ I say, ‘and this earth, under this sun,

I am so in love with … this planet, now

so troubled.’ We sober, wondering how

its many afflictions may find surcease.

Before leaving, we renew the deep vow

to be, in our lives, messengers of peace.



Written for Friday Writings #98 at Poets and Storytellers United. We were invited to write about one or more of the four classic elements: earth, air, fire and water, or perhaps the fifth: spirit, aka ether. This poem deals with that last one. (The form is a dizain, doubled.)






24 comments:

  1. Great we need many messengers of peace till world peace breaks out

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a vow I'd like to take too, despite the anger and grief and frustration the human self-destruction is causing... 8 billion messengers of peace needed right about now....Also this is a new form to me... seems like fun to write with all the rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a form I like to play with now and then. You can find it via Google and/or on Robert Lee Brewer's 'Poetic Asides.' In regatrds to peace, the world seems to be going backwards, doesn't it? We can only keep trying to do what we can on the individual level and perhaps make a difference in our own small sphere. If everyone did that....

      Delete
    2. A very dismal trajectory... between reading on climate and the non-solutions and watching footage of destruction - this has been a depressing week... we can, collectively, do much better surely. Will check the form and try it sometime soon!

      Delete
    3. All the best to you in both endeavours!

      Delete
  3. I like the sense of the surreal in your words. And heaven knows we need messengers, and more so doers, of peace in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not for serious tasks now but for fun and enjoyment. I like to remind myself that I've never been so free. That is uplifting thought for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sphere - Can't help but think of all that is going on - the horror - and how my little world seems so peaceful - for now. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are magic. I love how your words illustrate realities that not many people can grasp. Also, I really enjoyed the exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good exploration and movement towards peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been intrigued with the ether, and the things attributed to it. Major role in communications and electronics, those two are my likes. The spirit, yes, I knew but not really well versed. Nice format, I like writing with the conversations, but I generally have a tussle with do or don't include quote marks.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes I found threee definitions oif 'ether;' – the chemical, the physical (as in physics) and the spiritual. But we were concerned with that last.

      I have the same tussle about quotation marks. I decided I needed them here because of the changes between speakers.

      Delete
  9. I find a kind of mischievous Wordplay which endowed a mythical quality to this verse. A whimsicality too from body focus to larger vows of peace. The ethereal impishly intruding in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your close but light-hearted reading.

      Delete
  10. 'Journeys into the mystical' are my kind of travel-maps to follow, especially in company with Elder Daughters. ♥ LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like ‘sphere of sensation’. We need more messengers of peace.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!