We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

4.10.23

On Not Attending the Funeral Today


The funeral – sorry, memorial service –

for one of my sister Goddesses

is happening now and I’m not there.


Truthfully, catching a virus was convenient. 

I’m about funeralled out. Not that I didn’t 

care for her. Not that I’m not sad. Just that 

suddenly this one feels too much. Too many.


And my circle dancing days, my old body

tells me, are done. I’ve lent my velvet cloak 

and my sacred silk scarf to another Goddess 

who had moved away, but happens to be back

here at just this time. I know she was 


closer than I was to our dead friend, so

that seems right. I always think of her wearing

her own cloak – bright pink – joyously. 

Perhaps, today, it’s  better she wears 

my magenta one in grief. The Universe is good

at synchronising these tiny, fateful details.


For the rest, guests were requested

to wear either appropriate black, or else

the vivid colours – deep blues and greens,

bright purples – which the late artist loved.

I don my customary black pants, and add 

a vivid blue top. No, I’m not attending 

this funeral today, yet all my thoughts are there.





No comments:

Post a Comment

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!