We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

25.1.24

The Afterlife I Wish





I would come back here, to contemplate trees;

to gaze again, when I’m bodiless, on

mountains, rivers, clouds and stars, skies and seas.


Could Paradise hold such treasures as these?

Missing them, how could I ever move on?

I would come back here to contemplate trees,


their deliberate glory. Yes, they'll please

others who will love them, after I’ve gone –

also mountains, rivers, clouds, stars, skies, seas –


yet why should that mean my own joy must cease?

I don’t see the need for my being gone!

I would return here to stare long at trees.


I would enter unseen, light as a breeze,

not to disturb you, but just look upon

dear mountains, rivers, clouds, stars, skies and seas.


I would be transparent, taking my ease

on airy cloud-pillows. Death, you see, frees.

So I’d come back, to keep drinking in trees,

mountains, rivers, clouds, stars, vast skies, deep seas. 



(Photo mine.)


Written for Friday Writings #111 at Poets and Storytellers United: What would your ghost come back for? It's a bit of a riposte to the poem mentioned there, Fare Well by Walter de la Mare.


The form is a villanelle.



22 comments:

  1. Good Job you did here, Rosemary. If it's a plant, the tree would be special. I thought about a plant also, didn't come up with one for sure. Maybe a flowering weed. Since we've been to the Houston Methodist Hospital west four of the five days this week, counting in the morning at eight. Mrs. Jim is ending up doing an MRI Thoracic Spine being scheduled for March 4. She had a back ache really bad after a fall on the wooden floor. Also her hip, the one with the joint replacement is giving her fits, go tomorrow for that. So with her household jobs given for me, I didn't get to write, I entered an off prompt short poem I had written just a bit earlier.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed your off-prompt piece, Jim.
      Very best wishes to Mrs Jim for excellent treatment and a good recovery!

      Delete
  2. "...Death, you see, frees.
    So I’d come back, to keep drinking in trees,
    mountains, rivers, clouds, stars, vast skies, deep seas. " - this poem rocks gently in the breeze like a tree... if there is a Paradise, it better have flowering trees and afternoons and books and an endless blue sea.... sigh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent poem to read, especially aloud. I love the flow and cadence of the poem, like the swells of an open sea, or a free spirit on a breeze. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea for a poem and wonderfully said. It reminded me that I need to take more time now to stargaze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely villanelle .... the world as Rosemary remembered it, sharing the beauty with us on her ghostly return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well crafted! Wandering the trees seems perfect. There is a forested lot near me...price tag $1 000 000 - I'd wander there for free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful as green and evergreen as trees
    bluer than the oceans and deep seas
    words as wise as wisdom across boundless skies
    spirit as visible and invisible as a ghost that unseen flies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, how lovely to get a commnt in verse – especially this comment! Thank you.

      Delete
  8. I had a similar thought--no more engagement with living people, for ghosts, but perhaps more direct engagement with the Earth?

    (I'm not Anonymous, I'm Priscilla King, and Google may stick their cookies in their ears.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google can be very irritating, also senseless. However I'm glad you both commented and identified yourself, Priscilla; thank you. It's nice to know we had the same feeling.

      Delete
  9. I love this. "So I’d come back, to keep drinking in trees" I would too. The photo reminds me of the old prickly pear tree that was our favorite climber through childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a tree climber in childhood too – a lovely big blue gum in our back yard.

      Delete
  10. And I meant to say, the villanelle is my favorite form.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I would enter unseen, light as a breeze,

    not to disturb you, but just look upon

    dear mountains, rivers, clouds, stars, skies and seas.

    And just looking upon such beauty would be enough.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!