We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

18.8.24

A Sign!

 








Sudden, the first iris of Spring

appears in my messy garden

(which I’ve allowed to turn to weed

mostly; I’m a victim of age,

reluctant now to bend and tug

to make their sly roots disengage).

At last, the long hard winter rains

are done. This bloom is a message:


‘Rejoice!’ And I do, when that blue

emerges, bright, from dull grey-green.

How the heart surges, to read

this promise that life does renew.

How the flower too must have surged

to be born, pushing its way through

the curtaining dirt to burst onstage

flaring, lighting both earth and page.



Over at dVerse, Laura Bloomsbury recently used the 'octameter' form, invented by Shelley A Cephas in 2007, as a 'Meeting the Bar' prompt.

I don't really have time these days to engage with other  prompt sites (except for occasional forays into micropoetry in various facebook groups) but as I have set myself to experiment more with form this year – and the year is galloping past! – I sometimes go over there to have a peek, and then try something out.


I've decided to use this to respond to my own prompt for Friday Writings #141: Being Bound / Breaking Free at Poets and Storytellers United, on the grounds that it describes one kind of breaking free.





23 comments:

  1. How the flower too must have surged / to be born ... there is something so incredible about a little seed pushing out through the dirt and flowering... it does feel like a promise of something bright and full of life...such a beautiful affirmation to start this otherwise dull morning! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful image and poem - how wonderful that such delicate forces of nature find a way to push through, to grow and prevail, to break free of the dirt and emerge victorious..here the plants are fading and the wind is blowing..glad for you it is turning into spring - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winter was very brief, partly due to the fact that I live in the sub-tropics, and also due to climate change. A bit longer would have been nice; I suffer from pollen allergies in the warmer months – but the iris blooms are always a sure source of joy.

      Delete
    2. We live in the same state yet our winter was the coldest wettest one in many years. Glad to see the back of it...Rall

      Delete
    3. Oh, it was very wet here too! And cold. Just that all that was also brief.

      Delete
  3. This is a nice write. I already have a note to try this form but not had chance to sit down to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty attire to Nature you gave. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bitter sweet for me - I love the arrival of spring but lament that my wife will not be seeing it. (I responded to your Qs on my post last week.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; I have gone back and answered. Perhaps there will come a time when you can, in a way, see it on her behalf (as well as your own) as I'm sure she would have wished for you. Though it might be too soon for that yet. I'm glad you can write the poems and also express the truths here; I think that's vital.

      Delete
  6. A gorgeous poem and these last 4 lines are stunning and passionate I am off to the daffodils in the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reminded of different stages of flowering. A victim of age ... sometimes that's when we need to push through, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the poem and the form - i think i will try it myself. Life does renew and you have captured this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, flowers break free from seeds, shoots, and buds. Blue iris has always been a favorite of mine (not to slight my yellow one).

    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have never seen a yellow iris, did not know there was such a thing. It must be very gorgeous too.

      Delete
  10. Your poem is gorgeous, a perfect octameter. I am just now emerging from a self-imposed summer hiatus and am so glad your poem is among the first several I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'How the flower too must have surged

      to be born, pushing its way through

      the curtaining dirt to burst onstage'

      Gorgeous poem, Rosemary!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad it's been so appreciated!

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!