We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

28.7.26

This Modern Life


My energy provider does not 

use AI to speak to me.

I love their customer care! 

Patience. Efficiency. 

A polite human

who understands my elderly

confusions on details.

Also, the quality of music 

playing while I wait 

in the ubiquitous phone queue

is excellent.



A quadrille in response to Sanaa's Q. 252 at dVerse: exactly 44 words excluding title, and using  the obligatory word 'care.'   I came off the phone from the experience described above, to see this dVerse prompt in my email, so the above pretty much leapt into being. Apologies if you were expecting deep and serious poetry! (But, believe me, this matter IS serious.)




34 comments:

  1. Oh boy, can I ever relate to this poem, having spent a few futile hours with AI assistance this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes you wonder why businesses wish to subject customers to such frustration.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Rosemary! You have surely written the first post poem about hold music and customer service over the phone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah, the small things in life really do count. How lovely when we recognise them and pay them forward - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expressed myself gratefully during the conversations, too.

      Delete
  4. Good to know music played while waiting in the queue makes such a great difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes it adds to the trial one undergoes.

      Delete
  5. Ha... that music cannot be that good.. not my experience..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This modern life is tricky to navigate, Rosemary, so it’s good to know that some companies do care about customer care! A couple of weeks ago I almost had an argument with a chatbot! The music is all important too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, yes, no good arguing with the infernal chatbots.

      Delete
  7. The quality of music while we wait in the ubiquitous phone queue is really something isn't it? Stellar writing, Rosemary ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont have the patience for those phone queues
    Thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor do I, but sometimes needs must. Having decent music (just for once) helped.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, you made me laugh out loud in recognition of this very situation! I'd love to have that nice music and a live, caring human every time I have to call a help desk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunatley those AI customer service reps are becoming more common. Nice poem, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And yes, which is why I make sure the rare exceptions know how much it's appreciated.

      Delete
  11. Very true, good honest customer service is becoming very rare! What a nice ode to the good ones left! 💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering whether to send my server a copy. We must encourage the few who still do it well! Possibly a more conventional thankyou would be better .

      Delete
  12. I'm not quite elderly yet, but I can get confused all the same and would much rather talk to a person. I recently had a completely annoying and frustrating "conversation" with a clinic's AI messaging service. I'm with you, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not very satisfactory trying to converse with AI; I've tried it too before realising.

      Delete
  13. A polite human
    who understands

    A human voice is most welcomed rather than an AI inspired robot!!
    Great lines Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hank. It appears a lot of people can relate to this.

      Delete
  14. A customer service poem. Most serious and poetry indeed!😁

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're fortunate to have this company that cares--with a real person talking to you AND decent music!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rosemary, I love how your poem turns waiting on hold into a sweet thank-you for patient human help and good music.

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also made sure to express my thanks aloud at the time (though more conventionally, lol). It's important to encourage those who are still getting it right.

      Delete
  17. You are fortunate for actually speaking to a person. When I get robots, and am put on hold, instead of music, they keep repeating the same lines over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very irritating! Usually (with other organisations) I get muzak plus repeated spoken lines.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!