We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

9.10.26

The Voices


The noise in her head

is made of voices –

her family’s voices

lifelong and blaming,

the voice of the former husband 

whispering insults 

just before he hit,

the voices of other women

scornful, demanding to know 

why she didn’t just go …


The voices of landlords

asking more and more money

for hovels, refusing repairs;

the voices of addicts

her neighbours

yelling and screeching

all hours; and the voices

of not-friends-after-all

excusing themselves

from going out for a coffee.


Her voice, as she tries

to make sense of all this

talking to me, 

is surprisingly clear.

‘Why’ she asks,

‘can we not find compassion?’

She blames COVID isolation

from which we haven’t recovered,

and the young eyes always on phones, 

not looking outward to other people.


I see also an older pattern

still not gone from the world:

a woman alone, no man

beside her to demand 

the automatic respect

she deserves in her own right.

I can do nothing practical, only listen, 

tell her she’s making sense (she is) 

and hope my one small voice 

provides some momentary relief.



Sharing with Poets and Storytellers United for Friday Writings #248, where we are invited to write about a type of noise, literal or metaphorical. (It seems I might need to explain, for some readers, that the 'she' here is not me. I am the listener, observer and narrator.)




17 comments:

  1. Listening is a practical gift as well as emotional I think - and the story resonates and it is sad to think the pattern of relationships is considered more 'normal' than the voice of any woman (or man) in despair - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes – as this friend I've written of has sadly discovered.

      Delete
  2. Oh rosemary I hope its not your voice but I guess it is. I look up to you as a wise and sweet and strong woman and if these are your voices, you have done well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marja, but she isn't me. I'm one of the very few who is willing to listen and can hear her clearly. It's true that I too had some destructive voices in my head when I was younger – and luckily some excellent listeners also, who helped me grow 'wise and sweet and strong.' But they were professionals, which I am not, and I feel very helpless to be able to assist. But perhaps, as Jase suggests, just listening has some practical value.

      Delete
    2. PS I hasten to add that none of my three husbands ever hit me! Nor offered any kind of violence, physical or emotional.

      Delete
  3. The poem is beautifully written.
    I feel deeply for the listener of that voice. The external voices may eventually be ignored with practice, but the more difficult task is to make peace with the voice within—the ever-present witness that judges us, rebukes us, and dictates what we should and should not expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she is doing quite well really, as she knows the criticisms were unfair, but yes I think she has ingested some learned self-criticism also, as she is prone to apologising without need.

      Delete
  4. It is a soothing balm to be heard and understood without judgement. You're a good friend and listener, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listening is important. Ressurrect the deeply buried self esteem and be the best friend to yourself......Rall

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like she is doing that to herself. Therapy might help to interrupt the stories repeating as if on tape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope that she might seek therapy at some stage.

      Delete
  7. Human voices in whatever situations always sound nice and beautiful in the beginning. It gets unnecessarily entangled if it is allowed to gather momentum. Very nicely done, Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!