We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

30.11.18

So Long


So Long

So long now
since you jumped into death –
36 years, bright lad –
embracing the darkness
of the unknown,
rather than
the surrounding, encroaching
pain …

but my loyalty
is to your laughter,
your forthright gaze,
your arms around me briefly,
the words you inscribed on paper,
the flush on your freckled cheeks

and how resolutely
you straightened your shoulders
after that last time,
turning away.



At 'imaginary garden with real toads' Toni challenges us to write in the mood of Mono no Aware, the Japanese term for wistful sadness about loss or change. Well-timed for me, just as I've been having some nostalgic thoughts on the subject of this poem.

16 comments:

  1. Oh Rosemary. We all have these people in our lives who decide to run, to make that last jump. This poem is beautiful in its wistfulness, its sadness, its love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Special man, who captured your heart, Rosemary, Do wish, I can finish a person, such as this. May his memory continue to live, within your heart and the words that you write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so sad. I can see that squaring of his shoulders the last time turning away. I love "my loyalty is to your laughter". I can see those freckled cheeks. So beautiful. Mono no Aware for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, you really get me at the second stanza and then a crushing blow with the ending. Powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second stanza is what sustains the writer now that he is gone. Those things, some intangible, are all there is now.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. my loyalty
    is to your laughter

    Wonderful affirmation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man. Linger in the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot comment; can only bow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosemary - of all the poignant lines the "bright lad" hits hardest. There is optimism in your memories - looking onward at the good times. I have yet to reach there

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heartbreaking ~ at the same time uplifting. A huge sigh from me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sad, with the turning back that you would hope was a change of heart. Lovely poem, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautifully you wrote this Rosemary. Just sufficient detail to give the poem the credibility needed to touch the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sad but still the happiness of having that laughter still... very wistful and good.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!