We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

2.3.19

Haibun: Getting Colder


Haibun: Getting Colder

‘Why is Autumn coming so early?’ I thought, as I woke to suddenly cooler mornings or began reaching for a blanket at night. But it wasn’t early; I was still caught in Summer though Summer was ending. All at once it was the 1st of March, the timing perfectly correct. Only Autumn was always my favourite season – not hot but beautifully warm, the river shining, the skies their deepest blue. This time it's cold and wet. Some days, the rain doesn't stop. Not far away, there have been cyclones and floods. The Weather Bureau promises three days of thunder.

in the big bed
my small cat doesn't fill
the space you left


Written for Season Your Poetry Part II at 'imaginary garden with real toads'.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, I can understand the sentiment of your prose —the cold and wetness are bound to be a bit difficult. I am touched by the space left that even the cat doesn't fill. Beautifully penned, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn is also my favorite, at this point in our snowy winter I wonder whether we are in the midst of two season existence! A lovely write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are approaching spring here, but the bipolar winter doesn't want to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The prose is full of disappointment and seasonal frustration. And that haiku... oh, so much longing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Haibun, Rosemary. We tend to remember the good and the really bad. Mediocre days and times don't rate. Have a nice fall, we are all ready for spring. I had thought we were finished with winter but this Wednesday night it will reach 32F. I remember days of empty beds, now again they are only temporary.
    ..

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!