We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

10.2.22

NaHaiWriMo 2022, week 1

This year our daily prompts are names of cities – few of which I'm acquainted with (this week, only London and Sydney).


London 


‘But the history!’ 

he said — while I still

hated cities.


1/2/22



Sydney


New Year’s Eve –

fireworks on the Bridge

defy COVID


2/2/22















 

 

Montreal


Montreal

gave us Leonard – 

Hallelujah!


3/2/22




Berlin


(1)


Julie Harris

in ‘I Am a Camera’ –

my Sally Bowles



(2)


forget Nazis

forget The Wall – I dream

of Cabaret


4/2/22



Cape Town


old age –

so many places

I’ll never see


5/2/22



Tokyo


rearrange the name –

find the birthplace of Reiki

via Kyoto


6/2/22



Moscow


(1)

coloured cupolas 

belie the imagined grey –

the usual photos



(2)


Moscow 

home of ballet, and 

the bogeyman


7/2/22


 


Sharing this with Poets and Storytellers United at Friday Writings #14 – choosing not to follow their prompt this Friday (which is Monster Madness).


16 comments:

  1. Ha...these are great. I enjoyed all of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job, Rosemary!! Enjoy the Haiku, you might get your fill before this is over.
    .
    I like Sydney lots
    Sydney surely likes me too
    Spent lots of bucks there
    .
    I like your evening picture also, of the bridge and the Opera House. I have a picture of me at a boat's rear under the bridge, it's posted twice in these:
    https://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/search?q=sydney
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My photo was actually of my TV screen. I always watch the Sydney fireworks on New Year's Eve – from the comfort of my living room.

      Delete
  3. Some nice ones. I took to researching and using google images to present photo haiku for this month's prompt.

    Have a nice weekend Rosemary

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing that too, particularly as the weeks have gone on; but still like to go a bit tangential, or make it personal in some way, when possible.

      Delete
  4. What a fun mini-world tour! I hope that I will have an opportunity to see some of these places, someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, as the Cape Town one would suggest, I think my travelling days are past – just a bit too arduous, these days, getting to the places (even when borders are open). But I'm glad of what travelling I have been able to do, and also glad that our armchair travelling nowadays is so much more rewarding thanks to both TV and the internet.

      Delete
  5. OH MY! Rosemary these tidbits are beyond wonderfully descriptive. Spot on!!!! Cannot choose a favorite, though Sydney on New Year's Eve ranks right up there ... way up and all sparkly. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made this so much fun, Rosemary. I love the ones for Montreal, Tokyo, and the second one for Berlin. The contrast in the last one lingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am particularly glad you liked Tokyo. I wasn't too sure how that one was working.

      Delete
  7. Very nice! It's been many decades since I was in London, but at the time I liked it very much. I'm not one for most big cities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many years for me, too. I did enjoy some aspects, just wasn't as overwhelmed as my hubby with the significance of it all.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!