We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

15.2.22

NaHaiWriMo 2022, week 2


Rio de Janeiro

bossa nova –

girl from Ipanema

swaying

















Image © Rosemary Nissen-Wade 2022


8/2/22



Seattle


sea tale

(tell-tale, sea tattle) –

by the sound


Punning a bit at the end, as Seattle is on Puget Sound.


9/2/22



Reykjavik


can hot springs

in a land of ice

be enough?


10/2/22



Accra


Nkrumah –

hero or tyrant?

Perhaps both.


11/2/22



Honolulu


beach, nightlife …

above all Pele 

fire goddess


12/2/22



Dubai


twenty pics 

to entice a visit – 

ugh! so urban


Inspired by an online tourist ad for the city.


13/2/22



Paris


true I’ll never

alas – with the warm wind

etcetera


After a friend was mystified, I thought I'd better explain. This alludes to lines from The Ballad of Lucy Jordan (sung by Marianne Faithfull): 'She realised she'd never / Ride through Paris in a sports car / With the warm wind in her hair'.


14/2/22



~~~~~~~~~~~~



Sharing (off prompt) with Friday Writings #16 at Poets and Storytellers United.


16 comments:

  1. This is like a mini world tour! My favorites were Seattle, Reykjavik, and Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all the little haiku here. My favourite is Honolulu. It shows that despite all the fun and good life lurks an unexpected volcanic activity.
    The image looks like the Chinese character for "big". Also, you have given me an idea. Write some haiku on the Japanese towns and cities I have visited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed them all. Hope you are OK. Absolutely disaster zone up there in the northern rivers...Please take care !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. But I am high and dry and in all ways OK. And yes, I am taking care! Haven't been out yet; luckily haven't needed to.

      Delete
  4. Reykjavik especially... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are snappy and refreshing. Paris? Never? I like Dubai, the haiku and not the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 82, on a low income and with some medical conditions. It seems highly unlikely I'll be travelling overseas any more, to Paris or anywhere else. And I can see why you would like the Dubai haiku; I get the impression that you too prefer the natural world to the urban!

      Delete
  6. I really like the Reykjavik one, a fitting metaphor for the times. Can a bit joy here and there keep us afloat in these see of sorrow? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I have just this minute had that conversation with someone – that, despite the floods and despite Ukraine, there is still the new flower on my vine, there is still my little cat curled under her blanket: moments of joy. They don't outweigh the grief and horror, but they are there too, however small, and must not be missed.

      Delete
  7. I especially enjoyed the Rio de Janeiro piece, accompanied so fluidly and effortlessly by dancing lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorites are Rio de Janeiro, Reykjavik and Dubai (I agree, ugh)

    Love this world tour in Haiku.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very much at the mercy of the prompts – so I was forced to learn a thing or two about some places I have never visited! Others, such as Paris – well, one has one's own ideas even if never having been there either.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!