We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

24.2.22

The Sounding Sea

 (After reading Quasimodo, and remembering Tennyson)


I've never heard the sea at night 

sound light. Rather

it’s always a roar, a rhythmic 

deep wild pulsing

over and over again.


And I remember standing

with you, just inside 

our open door to listen, 

or out in the starlit garden

(when you were still alive).


But now I live too far 

from the sea and do not hear

its reassuring voice at night, 

huge like the world’s heart-beat.

Nor, ever again, your voice.



American poet Dobby Gibson suggests that 'poems, like birthdays, are intensely serial'. This one of mine was inspired by, and is partly a reply to, Salvatore Quasimodo's 'The Sea Still Sounds' (from his Selected Poems, translated by A.S. Kline) see below.  Quasimodo's piece, in turn, puts me in mind of Tennyson's 'Break, Break, Break' – although I have no evidence that Quasimodo was influenced by that poem, and indeed the thrust of his is rather different, not being elegaic.



The Sea Still Sounds

from Salvatore Quasimodo: Selected Poems, tr. A. S. Kline.


Even more so at night the sea still sounds,

Lightly, up and down, along the smooth sands.

Echo of an enclosed voice in the mind,

that returns in time; and also that

assiduous lament of the gulls; birds

perhaps of the summits that April

drives towards the plain; already

you are near to me in that voice;

and I wish there might yet come to you

from me, an echo of memory,

like this dark murmur of the sea.




I'm sharing this post at Poets and Storytellers United's Friday Writings #15: "After" Another.



10 comments:

  1. "huge like the world’s heart-beat" Tender and wistful... I can relate

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful poem of loss and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem stirs so many emotions ~ it is poignant, sad, beautiful … memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely, Rosemary. I think all of us who write literally absorb by osmosis words and phrases we read and savor until they become part of the pool of words that swirls in our brains! I once wrote a poem about a little wayside chapel, and long later found a poem in a vintage book of poetry so similar it stunned me. It was as if I'd channeled that poet of 100 years earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such happenings make me think there is indeed a collective unconscious that we can all tap into.

      Delete
  5. This poem of longing for things and people that we will never hear or see again touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is heartachingly beautiful. The imagery feels so rich and real, like the most precious of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Rosemary
    I hope you are OK. Been watching the unfolding devastation in the Northern Rivers on the tele....Please take care. Thinking of you
    Rall

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your style runs parallel to Quasimodo's. This tore at my heart in its beauty and longing.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!