We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

1.3.22

NaHaiWriMo 2022, week 4


Manila 

 (1) 

 Bill striding the dark 
 narrow streets to our hotel 
 suitcase on shoulder 

 
(2) 

empty restaurant 
waiters flocked – oops, the prices! 
we stood, bowed, smiled, left 

 
3) 

moonlight 
one-room huts on stilts 
over water 

 22/2/22 


Cairo 

(1) 

1965 
they met tourist as brother – 
three young men, strangers 


(2) 

belly dancer 
not young but skilled – 
deeply revered 

 23/2/22 

 Note: Tales told by my late ex-husband, Bill, after his visit to Cairo as a young man. 


New Delhi 

(1)

hours between planes 
didn’t leave the airport – 
city scary vast 


(2)

in transit at night 
afraid to miss connection – 
wakeful on hard seats 

24/2/22 


Havana 

COVID: last minute 
they cancelled the trip – whew! 
could have got stuck there 

 25/2/22 


Hong Kong 

 (1) 

the politics now – 
who didn’t 
see it coming? 

 (2) 

so glad 
you left and came back here 
to live 

 26/2/22 


Copenhagen 

gazing out to sea 
little mermaid (and 
girl from Tassie?) 

 27/2/22 

Note: Denmark's Princess Mary came from the island of Tasmania. So did I – so I know that, no matter how much one chooses to live elsewhere, one can occasionally gaze in that direction with a touch of nostalgia.


Kyiv 

(1) 
I wonder 
what it looked like before 
it got so famous 

(2) 

these images 
forever sad Kyiv 
in my mind now 

27/2/22 


Murwillumbah, NSW, Australia 

(1) 

dawn’s rays touch first 
the warrior’s nose-tip: 
our old mountain 

(2) 

river town 
near sea and mountains — 
cross the bridge 

(3) 

let’s 
get the celebrities 
out of here 

(4) 

flood levee breached 
CBD under water — 
stay out of town 

Notes:
(1) Mt Warning aka Wollumbin is the first place in Australia the morning sun touches. Many of us think the outline of the mountain looks like the sleeping face of a giant warrior.
(2) The town is entered by a bridge over the river.
(3) (a) ‘I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here’ is filmed nearby.
     (b) We’re sick of actual celebrities making homes in the area and             pushing up prices for everyone else.
(4) Heavy rain, flooding and power outage last few days, culminating today. I’m high, safe and stocked with food; many others not.

28/2/22


One more Murwillumbah haiku:

after the day
of terrible floods —
late night bird song 

Later 28/2/22





15/4/22, nearly two months later, I'm sharing this lot with Poets and Storytellers United via Friday Writings #22. I'm not using the Friday Writings prompt this time – though it's a very good prompt. Perhaps I'll come back to it some other time. (I'm a bit busy with other writings just now.) 


25 comments:

  1. I really liked the third for Manila, I can see it so clearly—peaceful. The same goes about the second one for Cairo, I definitely understand the reverence. And the first one for Murwillumbah, NSW, Australia is just glorious! It left me smiling.

    I am glad the birds are singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time, I didn't see peace in those huts, but stark poverty. But you might be right; I recall a young woman in one, sitting in meditation.

      Delete
  2. I love the travel haiku... love how they evoke a sense of nostalgia and desire to go into the unknown. I think one of my future projects will be a haiku travelogue... where to begin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one about the belly dancer made me think of my dance teacher and how her enthusiasm and skill win so many people over even though she is older. I had to laugh at the restaurant one as my husband and I did the same thing once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's wonderful, that you did that too! We didn't even have any discussion, just looked at each other and then acted as one.

      Delete
  4. A stepping stone of many journeys. Snippets like polaroid's. I see it as a poetic travelogue for passing down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easily absorbed into the secobd haiku. What with the prices rising in our supermarkets and eateries.

    Have a Happy Easter

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of nice experiences. We saw the belly dancers in Cario, nice. I had a student who belly danced, her mom did it professionally.
    We also have traveled a lot, all 50 U.S. states and at least 74 countries.
    Thank you for peaking in. Today's NaPoWriMo exercise was of something that we didn't have any interest in (not dislikes, just no interest. I chose saving and playing with paper dolls.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of my friends have belly-danced professionally. One was also a teacher and I tried to learn, but it's really difficult.

      You have travelled a lot more than I have! But I have been all over Australia, and to nine other countries.

      Delete
  7. What a haiku travelogue! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful narration in few words. You have captured its essence, Rosemary.Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful images, like little travel postcards.
    I smile at the empty restaurant, and feel sad for Hong Kong.
    And Kyiv, all I see now are scenes of destruction. I hope the country will rise free, and fast from the ashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, such a terrible situation there! Who knows how it will all turn out?

      Delete
  10. It's nice to see pieces of the world from someone else's eyes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice words.
    Could imagine the places- like homes on stilts in moonlit nights.
    I like the bird's songs after the floods.
    "As long as there's hope, there's life."

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY! How absolutely wonderful, each of them. Havana my favorite!! In 1959 as the revolution was beginning, my family landed there, armed military at the airport, we stayed one week, a perfect week ... happy to escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Helen, what an experience!

      My son was very keen to see the place when it finally opened up to tourists again – but then COVID happened, people began to realise the dangers of travelling, and at the last minute he and his partner decided not to go. A very wise decision: so many Australians were stuck in overseas countries for many months. And I would have been stuck in Melbourne rather than where I prefer to live, as I was going to go and keep my grand-daughter company in her parents' absence. I don't know if my son will ever fulfil his dream of seeing Cuba. Since then he and his family have all had COVID just from living in Melbourne – but it was the milder Omicron variant.

      Delete
  13. I think all these moments and impressions ought to be in a book. Just Lovely

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!