We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

8.6.23

Buck(et)ing the Trend

I am deeply opposed

to the whole idea of bucket lists –

also goal-setting and all other

kinds of rah-rah geeing-up.


Instead (and in protest)

I have devised

an empty-the-bucket list:

things I can cross off

as no longer ever

having to do.


The older I get, the more

I can dismiss. The ageing body

means no-one, not even

my somewhat-indoctrinated self

(it’s hard to altogether escape

prevailing social opinion)

has any hope of persuading me 

into stuff I really cringe from.


E.g. I never never never, now,

need to sky-dive, bungee-jump,

or plank. I needn’t even

try to climb mountains.


I am not obliged to

master Spanish,

let alone Japanese.

I need not even begin them.


I have travelled 

and I loved it, but now

I may enjoy the view 

from my armchair.


(The trouble with travel

is not the places, but

getting through the airports. Ugh!

Now I can eschew them –

and also congratulate myself

on not-flying being kinder 

for our beloved planet.)


I don’t have to dress for success,

nor to please any male eye 

any corporate code, any 

fashion rules for older women.

I can look like a hippy if I want to,

or a slob, or just someone

over eighty with an imperfect body

and a love of colour and comfort.


I don’t have to read any book

because it’s worthy – only

if it’s fun and gorgeous and I want to.

Nor see any movie ditto.

I am excused from engaging 

with Serious Ideas,

or having my emotions harrowed

in the interests of confronting

The World As It Is. Believe me, 

I’ve done enough confronting.

I don’t have to rub my nose 

in that stuff any more, 

to know how bad it smells.


It’s far too late to become

a Perfect Mother,

a Great Beauty,

a Good Cook – or even 

a half-way decent gardener.

(Two of those things I never ever

really wanted to, so there! 

I do like eating good food

and seeing beautiful gardens;

I just don’t want to be the one

to have to create these delights.)


It’s lovely to sit back, relax,

and contemplate all the things

I never have to do, 

tossing them blithely

out of that damn bucket.



Written for Friday Writings #80 at Poets and Storytellers United, where we are invited to write about something on our bucket list. Our word limit is 369 (excluding title). I was gratified to find that when I'd finished this outpouring with very little tweaking, it came to exactly 369 words!






24 comments:

  1. has any hope of persuading me
    into stuff I really cringe from.... this is such bliss.. also there's no need to explain why. I love the empty-the-bucket list... just the sound of it is relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sense of freedom coming through in these words. Funny how some of those "I don't have to" realizations that arrive as we age are things we never had to do, even in youth, but thought we should. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary, your bucket list is about mine, pretty well emptied out. Travel? Been to all 50 States. 79 countries, yes Aus and NZ included. Had two wives (that's plenty, still live with the second), and on and on.
    I would like to see you dressed like a Hoppie. I write about my Hippie friend, lost track of her now. Since I'm older than you, I could give you my line, "I've done all the things that I needed to do and most of the things that I've wanted to do.
    I enjoyed reading your list and expositions.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Jim, that's a great line! And it's true for me too. I'm adopting it immediately.

      Delete
  4. This may be the absolute right spot: "I may enjoy the view

    from my armchair." I have a similar bucket list...i.e. no list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this poem....can relate to it so well....It really takes a life time to get to this stage ...Enjoy !....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the best! Don't just do something, sit there! I'm with you. My bucket list is just the grocery list of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I love your reverse adage! And will take it on board along with the wonderful line Jim gave me.

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of an Empty-the-Bucket List. I'm going to appropriate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm on your side of the fence, dear Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I just discovered, reading your wonderful piece for this prompt a minute ago.I love your joie-de-vivre.

      Delete
  9. There are some things I'm glad never to have to do again, it's true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, and some I'm glad never to have to do in the first place.

      Delete
  10. Just read this - yeah, you and I are definitely on the same wavelength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes indeed. So are quite a few others, I noticed.

      Delete
  11. This is wonderful and heartwarming to read, Rosemary. I second it! You know exactly how to live a wholesome life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love this honesty, and can relate to tossing things out of that bucket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. It seems I am far from alone in this.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!