We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

9.5.24

What Is Beauty? (Textu)

Textu is a form invented by poet Fady Joudah. Including title and spaces, it must be the exact number of characters as a text message: 160. 


What is Beauty?


The skin on my inner arms

like crinkled paper

or tiny waves 

arriving close and quick

on advancing tide.


Not everyone can see

not all know

how to look.


***


In My Dream


I conversed with lightning,

and a large moss-covered rock.

Mostly, THEY spoke:


Get out of the way!  

Or else be one with the earth,

like the first people.


***


Because I Grew So Old


I can tell the value of leisure.

Poet Eileen Miles 

says writing’s waste of time.

She likes that, chose it. 

But it’s not

that the time’s empty.


***


After Midnight


Night begins to quiet;

quiet begins to enfold us.

In that quiet

our inner dreams,

usually silent, 

begin to speak;

only to mute

as light hits the window.


***


Tiny Things


also have life. That coastal 

algae 2 microns across, shaped

as a perfect dodecahedron.


What happens to them

when bits of the bigger world

become extinct?


***


Always a Sucker for a Pretty Face


Of course I fall in love with beauty –

why I'm a poet.


Following a light

into whatever distance


for 

its own sake.


Even when

not deep.


***


Poppi Sleeps


She's having little dreams

and murmurs,

deep in her inner world


which plays

on her outer.


Do cats need dreams

as we do? Are they

messages


or simple release?


***


When I Give You a Poem


I want you to see it

as cut glass

facets catching light


to feel its weight 

solid 

how it fits your palm


hear its call

up at your ear

like a shell


***


Rain Comes Down Hard


It’s good to be

cosy in my home, 

high up.


So much flooding

lately, year by year.


Noise of the water

all night

survivors tell:


huge relentless

power.


***


Poetry


Young

To give my life to


making with words

something beyond words.


Old

Yes what I've given

do give my life to 


poor recompense

scant attention

not reason to stop.



Sharing with Poets and Storytellers United at Friday Writings #126 where I invite others to join me in playing with 160-character pieces, whether in verse as textu or in prose as very short stories.






15 comments:

  1. Rosemary, you put a lot of work writing all these. Not like most of these around here, counting words. My wordprocessor gives me that count, but i'v seen nothing for this. I would use an empty Sudoku form, nine of something for each line.
    My favorite is your rain one, "Rain Comes Down Hard." Probably because I've been there, 33 inches of water in our home. It looked like an oasis, surrounded by water. Tropical Storm Claudia got us good. Our small creek overflowed to make more than a mile wide lake, when tides below stopped our creek from flowing into Gulf of Mexico. And more still was pushed back into the land by winds and tides. It took about six months to make it livable again. Three cars, one fairly new, and a motorcycle were ruined. The water was much deeper as the road infront was much lower.
    I carried our young daughter and Mrs. Jim carried the dog and we escaped from the only high window that the sill was higher than the water. Friendly neighbors up the hill behind us let us in for the night plus.
    ..
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you, Mrs Jim and your dog survived! Many of my friends here have similarly dramatic stories.

      Delete
  2. An impressive collection! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work and after doing one I'm impressed with how easy you made it seem to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't really easy, of course. I'm glad I succeeded in making them seem so.

      Delete
  4. That was a thoughtful journey. So digestible. Each a part of the whole. No reason to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed! I had difficulties writing ONE! Much harder than a word count. Tiny Things really makes me think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A picture of that algae (many times life size) made me stop and think, too.

      Delete
  6. Great writing and so fully of many images . Very impressive writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Took my time, reading slowly ... your verses are beyond spectacular, engaging. Thank you for the challenge [I am still working on it] and for being YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Helen, for the kind words, and accepting the challenge. And thanks for being you, too.

      Delete
  8. Rosemary, each Textu of yours I liked, I feel one is above the other. Let me also try, not done so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun trying! (Because it's a form, not a subject, you could use it to write of any subject matter – including any new P&SU prompts.)

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!