We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

30.4.24

The Sad Anniversaries

Persephone in the Overworld



They are now at the further

end of the year, those months

when I return to you – months,

others imagine, of darkness. 


They don’t know how, when I’m 

here in the everyday, I might 

yearn for those ghostly passages, 

to connect back deeply to you:


You – who dwell, truly, in the realm

of the dead. So I must come to you, 

revisiting that now familiar underworld 

where those whom we have buried live.


The deep months, when I seem to 

withdraw, to disappear, when I am indeed

communing with shadows – they are the 

sad anniversaries, the times of ending. 


I have adjusted to going back and forth

each year. I do rejoice in the good green

earth, in flowers and the sun. I do

value my living loves, always. And


I watch as they gradually join you

in the tombs of mind and memory. 

New friends arrive. Children and other 

young things continue appearing yearly.


It is not unpleasant being here, even

in your absence. Nor is it at all unwelcome

when time spins around again to allow me 

to linger once more in your reality, Love.



The NaPoWriMo prompt: write a poem in which the speaker is identified with, or compared to, a character from myth or legend.


The Poem A Day prompt: Write a The End poem and/or write a Beginning poem.


The subtitle makes it clear I'm identifying with Persephone. The difference is that I've had two great loves in my life, both now dead. They died many years apart, but the anniversaries of those deaths are very close. I am wondering if the poem works, with this variation from the Persephone story.  Also, at the end I capitalised Love, to create some ambiguity as to whom I was addressing, perhaps Love itself, and I also wonder if that works.


This is also an appropriate piece to have written on the date of Samhain here in the Southern Hemisphere: the time when the veil grows thin between the living and the dead, a time to remember and honour our dear departed.


6 comments:

  1. I think the Persephone analogy works well. Persephone had no power to control her destiny, just as we have no power over death. Her back and forth from dark to light is similar to the way we feel when we've lost someone very close. It's more complicated if there are two loves involved, but not insurmountable. Love as an entity in its own right is the best way to present it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Jane, for this useful, thoughtful opinion

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth Boquet30 April 2024 at 21:08

    Yes. The deep months of the living's absence. I get it, Persephone. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for inspiring Us by sharing your poem. I have recently resumed writing poetry and sharing it at my blog. Glad I came to see yours. Aloha from Honolulu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Cloudia, and thank you. Perhaps you would like to visit Poets and Storytellers United and share your poetry further? https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!