We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

2.4.24

(Sevenling) When I met you


For Dallas, my ‘psychic twin’


When I met you in the prison poetry workshop, 

you were wary, untrusting; gradually decided I was real; 

transferred months later, surprised me with a quick kiss goodbye.


In the years until you were free, we wrote letters.

I came to the hospital when your first child was born.

Later, his mother and you helped me through illness and injury.


The night you died, your spirit woke me from sleep to let me know.



The NaPoWriMo prompt today is to write a platonic love poem, addressed directly to the object of one's affections, and include at least three memories of engaging with them. Although this poem doesn't mention the word love, I trust it's evident in what is said.



7 comments:

  1. I’m so pleased to see you here, Rosemary, and I love the way you described the beginning of the relationship with your ‘psychic twin’, and the way it developed. But what a sad ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... still, he lasted into his seventies and lived a happy and useful life. But I do miss him! (Though that final visit was a great gift.)

      Delete
  2. Jane Dougherty2 April 2024 at 20:17

    Very moving xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fortunate are those of us who have known our “physic twin”

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!