We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

25.4.24

The Shadows Dance Upon the Wall (Cento)


And that recurrent dream of years ago, pulling 

lilacs out of the dead lands, mixing

peculiar unthinkable happenstances ...


I can’t understand, no I can’t understand.

None of it really happening

don’t tell me it will be alright.


We trip on melted sidewalks,

boots pounding cobblestones,

until we reach that horizon


& in a moment it came back to me, that scent of wet

when I started having tender thoughts about

being eaten by the earth –


to be the stone that splits the stream of their vision   

with secret inward gleams

in a radiance dimly akin to happiness.


Consumed, consuming, we are consumed.   

The ocean has lost her baby teeth. 
I hear it in the deep heart’s core –


a heart inflamed …  

altered, estranged, disintegrated, lost.

I wish I was heartless to the core! 


But only so an hour,

and then my heart with pleasure fills.

There’s so much I want to tell you ...


When only the moon rages,

light lingering in the sky,
night turns dark and gold;


through the dark robe oft amber rays prevail.

My life held precariously in the seeing,

it did not matter if I believed.



This poem is written in response to three prompts. At Poets and Storytellers United, for the up-coming FridayWritings #124 we are invited to write something using at least three (or all) of these words: consume heartless inflamed peculiar teeth. (Of course I chose all! And then had to find them in other people's poems: read on!)


NaPoWriMo asks us to 
 write a poem that begins with a line from another poem (not necessarily the first one), but then goes elsewhere with it.  The first line of this poem was indeed the one I began with.


The Poem A Day prompt at Poetic Asides is to write 'a maximum poem'  – and, however we interpret that, to 'take it to the max.'  So I decided to do that by taking ALL my lines from other poems (a form known as the cento). I found most  of them in the pieces Knopf Poetry has been sharing with subscribers this April, and wove in a few lines from famous poets of the past.  Sometimes I needed to alter the punctuation, but the words are intact . After all that – hoping the thing makes some kind of surreal sense – it seemed appropriate to turn to Coleridge, poet of weird, hallucinatory visions, for the title. All the poets I took lines from are listed below, in order.


Title: SamuelTaylor Coleridge


Verses:


J.D. McClatchy

T S Eliot

Asha Dutton

Skeeter Davis

Brenda Shaughnessy

Leila Mottley


KB Brookins

Sandra Cisneros,

Michael Ondaatje 


David St. John

Sharon Olds

Tayi Tibble


Gregory Pardlo

Nam Le

Anthony Hecht


JennyJustice

Amy Ludwig VanDerwater

W B Yeats


Kahlil Gibran

Edna St Vincent Millay

John Chizoba Vincent


Robert Frost

William Wordsworth

Michael Dickman 


Dylan Thomas

Charles Simic

Federico Garcia Lorca


John Keats

Frank O’Hara

Jane Hirshfield





29 comments:

  1. I really like the idea that the ocean has lost her baby teeth -- wonderful imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my own imagery of course, but I can take credit for really liking it too, enough to choose to use it here.

      Delete
  2. Very beautiful poem! Love the imagery and rhythm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is a massive effort... to find the poems and the lines and then create something beautiful out of them... I wish I was well read enough to name all the poems, not just one... sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And you surprise me! I'd have thought you'd recognise more. (But some are perhaps not the best-known by their authors.) So now I am curious: which one?

      Delete
    2. The Wordsworth of course :) But I've made a "note to self" to read Lorca with more care than I obviously have so that I recognize more of his lines. When this April madness is over, I'm going to study Rilke's elegies... more reading, less (almost no) writing... then Audrey Lorde, maybe Lorca after that. I'll get to the well-read state at some point!

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, I suppose that is the most recognisable. I would have thought Eliot's 'lilacs out of the dead lands,' Yeats's 'I hear it in the deep heart's core,' and even DylanThomas's 'when only the moon rages' fairly well-known too. But I realise I was so lucky to have been brought up on the best of English poetry by a father, primarily, and also other family members, who loved it and knew it well. I could have tossed in Masefield, Rupert Brooke, Alfred Noyes, Tennyson, James Elroy Flecker, Walter de la Mare.... The Knopf selections were mostly quite unknown to me before. I'm probably not nearly as well read in contemporary poetry as I could be.

      Delete
    4. (Of course, not being so well read means there are still treats in store!)

      Delete
  4. Yes this is a massive effort i agree - Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surreal and untouchable yet deeply relatable. So much thought was put into these lyrically arranged words, yours and theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. This is powerful. A journey it itself. The ocean's lost baby teeth stopped me. Our lives ARE held so precariously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to know it worked; had an effect on people.

      Delete
  7. These lines were so well put together. I'm super impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an epic poem birthed from your creative, fertile mind ... "some kind of surreal sense" ~~ oh my yes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super mpressed too....love cento..Indeed this must have taken a while but such good fun eh! Only a few days to go now. Bit tired ... Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did take a while and underwent a few rearrangements; but yes, also lots of fun.

      Delete
  10. Complex and compound. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting project...

    Pris cilla King

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is magnificent, Rosemary. I love the way you incorporated different bits of wonder to make a wonderful piece of your own. I felt the imageries... deep. You took it to max and then some.

    This is my new favorite by you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is as surreal as the ocean's baby teeth. You excelled at this form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Of course, I did have some very good material.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!