We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

30.4.24

Incandescent/Until Burnt Out

 

Can poetry’s fire flare out? 

If stoked too hard, will it blaze 

too fierce, soar so high

it thins, becomes air?

Or will it re-ignite?



The NaPoWriMo prompt was to choose one of 10 words taken fromTaylor Swift songs and make it the title. I chose 'incandescent.' The Poem A Day prompt was Until Blank: fill in the blank with a word or phrase and make that the title. So I had to use a double title!


Also, I felt for a little while that I was already incapable of writing one more poem, after writing them every day this month. Then I thought to make  that my subject, and to try a textu: a form invented by Fady Joudah in which the only rule is that it must be, including title and spaces, exactly 160 characters, the number allowed in a text message. (It's harder than you might think, to get it exact.)



9 comments:

  1. I don't think so, Rosemary. It can take a sabbatical, sometime a long one. In 2006, my start of blogging, mine returned from high school days, 73 years.
    Your 'textu' said a lot for 160 characters. I like it lots, must try. Perhaps a spine poem, do a search from the library shelves.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a long sabbatical! I''m so glad it finally returned to you.
      Ah yes, spine poems; been ages since I did one of them. Perhaps I'll give it try, too, sometime soon.

      Delete
  2. Oh I didn't know about textu... back in 2015 I just called it Poetweet...the limit was 140 characters (which Twitter allowed then ) and I wrote maybe 60 poems... must resurrect them at some point!! I hope the fire will reignite after my break!!!! Hopefully in some other avatar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I too wrote poetweets back in the day. I was one of the first, and called them tweetpoems until the better name was coined. But I left twitter a long time ago. (I gather the limit there was increased some years back; and Google tells me that now it's X the limit is 280.) I should resurrect mine too; no idea now how many there were.

      Delete
    2. PS Poetweets had to come within 140 characters, but textu must be EXACTLY 160. Getting it exact is a challenge!

      Delete
  3. I was trying to do exactly 140, spaces included, I think. I can't remember any of them...but I dug out this one: https://thotpurge.wordpress.com/2016/02/12/66/ - Maybe micropoetry in June then ... some reigniting happening already, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is gorgeous! You might like this one: https://passionatecrone.blogspot.com/2013/06/heart-light.html

      (Sam Peralta used to do long poems in successsive tweets!)

      Delete
    2. I have now found 40 poetweets. I think that's all. I'm surprised how good I now think them. Enough for a chapbook – speaking of reigniting.

      Delete
  4. Yup...absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!