We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

18.4.24

Not ‘Summertime’ but Autumn's 'September Song'


I should get under the shower and wash my hair and all, soon.

But I’ve spent half the morning trying to write to the prompts: 

‘Not (Blank; fill it in)’ and ‘The name of a piece of music,’

both to be the title of the poem – and this is as far as I’ve got.

What I mean is, nothing apart from that title I’d want to keep.

 

I was going to say something about how the parental promises

in ‘Summertime’ are lies; because living is never easy, not

for anyone. But then I remember the children in Gaza,

and I decide I can’t really complain. I thought to point out

that my days dwindle down, but then I recall I’ve had 84 years.


And I remember the children in Gaza, and in other places too,

who don’t get to live many days at all, and for whom that living

is brutal, shocking, agonised, insane. And I think that whatever

I’ve endured (and there have been some things) in the face

of all that, I have suffered nothing. Grief, pain, but no horrors.


There are truths which defeat even poetry. Which even song

can’t adequately reflect. Picasso’s ‘Guernica’ might come

closer, but I’m a painter in words, and they fail me. Meanwhile

threats of both flooding and fires repeat daily around me.

I can’t even think it’s peaceful and safe here in my own country.


I lived, I perceive, through a sometime Summertime,

when the fish were sometimes jumping – right into the boat

from the lines we trailed. Where we grew no cotton, but 

the sun was often high, benignly. I see that my Autumn days 

are dwindling peacefully and comfortably, precious enough.


The poem has nowhere else to go, yet I don’t want to end

on even a weak, qualified high note. To count my blessings

feels detached, isolated, selfish, wilfully blind. With no end

in sight (except the end of the planet) I let it peter out 

in a mess of confusion, incomplete, unresolved….



Summertime lyricsSeptember Song lyrics.



As indicated in the poem, the NaPoWriMo prompt was to be inspired by a piece of music and use its name as the titlke of the poem. The Poem A Day prompt was 'Nothing (blank),' fill in the blank and make that the title of the poem. Not so easy to combine this time. But if I hadn't tried but written separate poems, would they have taken me anywhere different? Perhaps not.




2 comments:

  1. I responded to your comment with a little rant but had to come here to say that I love the last verse of your poem - it says everything - the reality, the helplessness, the pointlessness... all poems should end with that verse... we should all use it and you should get all the royalty! At least until poetry becomes strong enough to craft real endings....real-life endings....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't often allow myself to confront these things in poetry as it takes me to such dark places – and of course such darkness is all too appropriate. Also, as I say in that last verse, it leaves me with nowhere to go.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!