We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

5.4.24

Would I Rather Be a Woman or a Fish?

 The NaPoWriMo prompt todayToday we’d like you to start by taking a look at Alicia Ostriker’s poem, “The Blessing of the Old Woman, the Tulip, and the Dog.” Now try your hand at writing your own poem about how a pair or trio very different things would perceive of a blessing or, alternatively, how these very different things would think of something else (luck, grief, happiness, etc).


Remembering that I set myself to explore form this year, I decided to try it as a Rondel – perhaps not one of my better ideas. (But do go and read the prompt poem, which is lovely!)


‘To be exactly where I want –

to be here now, to be human –

how blessed I am!’ said the woman

in the posh seafood restaurant.


The population’s getting scant

for certain fish in the ocean.

To be exactly where you want,

here and now, seems to be human.


For fish, what blessing does life grant?

Just that – the life that they’re given.

They need no other heaven

than to live as long as they’re meant,

to be exactly where they want.


6 comments:

  1. And so they are and we are, completely ourselves😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I've read the prompt poem and so many interesting variations today, am tempted to try it in with of my next few prompts... !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not thrilled with what I did, but it sure is an interesting prompt, allowing for lots of possibilities.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!