We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

12.4.24

On Being Asked to Tell a Tall Tale and Make it Funny

 

But I’m not feeling very funny right now – 

not, anyway, in the sense of amused.

Or amusING. And I don’t think I have

any tales tall enough to top the reality,

the unbelievable reality of what’s going on

in the world right now. 

                          

Once upon a time

there was a race of creatures on this planet,

a species, I guess you’d say, that grew fast

and large – too large in the end for this earth

to encompass them. You think I mean dinosaurs?

No, I mean ourselves, breeding and breeding.


You see it with other animals. Overcrowding

leads to aggression; fights to the death. There 

were all these experiments on rats…. Sometimes,

earth produces a plague or a famine to deal with

the burgeoning numbers. Sometimes that’s not

enough. Nowhere near.


This species became 

so big that it blotted out the sun. Well, in a way.

Or perhaps it was the opposite. Anyway,

climate changed. (Oh, you’ve already heard 

this impossibly tall tale?) A sudden plague, 

which wiped out many, didn’t quite do the job.


Then the new wars began – even though 

many of the species knew this was not

the way to a habitable planet, a safe space

to live out lives of harmony with nature.

The powerful didn’t care. Survival? I think

we haven’t a prayer.



I've been combining prompts from NaPoWriMo and Poem A Day at Poetic Asides. Today, one was to tell a tall tale, the other to write something funny. Luckily both are optional.  My pessimistic piece ended up veering to today's prompt in Rajani's April list at her Thoughtpurge blog: Prayer. (And I guess subverting that, too.)



10 comments:

  1. Sigh... we really don't have a prayer.. not the way we're going! Only the young seem to be screaming to save their future and no one is listening to them. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is why I so seldom write on this topic – I go so dark and despairing. I did my share of screaming for decades, but I and thos elikeme were not listened to either. We were ridiculed! Now, at least lip service is sometimes paid, but too little too late. In fact I know there are many people doing much good work to try and rectify things, but still I fear it is not enough.

      Delete
  2. Such a thoughtful, apt and concise write, Rosemary. I feel the same about these Napowrimo prompt. I'm struggling to find the funny side of things at the moment with the world as it is. I feel, in a way, that nature's way of releasing viruses to control populations is her way of trying to manage things. Overpopulation is to blame for so many things. An excellent, sobering write👌🏼🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And an excellent, sober read from you; thanks, Sunra.

      Delete
  3. Very, very strong, ringing with truth, I hear you❣️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last comment not meant to be anonymous, I struggle with focus at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. Blogger doesn't always make it easy!

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!