We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

2.4.24

Wuthering Heights Remembered


Poor little rich girl

trades forbidden passion

with traumatised orphan boy

for respectable marriage

to dull but wealthy neighbour,

the savage landscape of the moors

for a fine house, a life inside walls. 


It doesn’t end well.

Her lover tries to move on

but hates his wife for not

being his lost Cathy.

He is not kind. He is not gentle.


How did Cathy die? How do I not

remember how she dies?

But she does, and the story

begins and ends with her ghost

haunting the man who lost her,

crying through the window to be let in –

but only to some visiting stranger.


The overwhelming motif 

is Heathcliff alone, sobbing, 

begging her wandering spirit,

which he can't hear for all his fierce desire,

to please come in, please come back to him.


I understand that longing for one dead.


The NaPoWriMo prompt for today is to recount the plot of a novel you know you liked but read a long time ago.


As I decided 6 days late to do the PAD (Poem A Day) prompts at Poetic Asides too, I'm glad to realise that this also fits the Day 2 prompt there: to write a happy or sad poem or one which is both. This one definitely qualifies as sad!


I'm also sharing this with Poets and Storytellers United for Friday Writings #122, where Rommy asks us to write of a book we've read more than once. She's primarily thinking of  comfort reads, a category which I don't think Wuthering Heights could ever fall into! But I have re-read it once or twice after first encountering it when quite young. (I had this wonderful Grandpa who used to give me 'classics' for every birthday and Christmas, with no concessions to my chronological age. As I was a precocious reader, this was perfect!)



24 comments:

  1. A poignant reminder of lost times and friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is crazy how much I love this book... all its madness and darkness. There is heathcliff in all of us...a bit, a slice, a lot....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's remarkable that so many readers are completely drawn into its wildness and passion. (Me too, of course.)

      Delete
  3. I've heard of the book but haven't read it. Before this I always knew Heathcliff as a comic strip character. I wonder which was first.
    Jim here
    ...





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, the book was definitely first! It was first published in 1847; I''m quite sure there were no comic strips then. Funny, I sort of assume everyone must have read it, it's so large in the consciousness of so many people I know – but I am entirely ignorant of the comic strip Heathcliff. I wonder if he is based in any way on the one in the book?

      Delete
  4. "It doesn’t end well." That is so true for so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This engaging dark tale and how it well it was woven allowed my own imagination to take wing. The paths we choose in relationships are riddled with hidden passions and unfortunate misunderstandings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too understand the longing for one who is dead. I can barely remember the Wuthering Heights story though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, I did read it more than once, the first time when I was at an impressionable age.

      Delete
  7. I read Wuthering Heights so long ago, I may need to read it again. Though I just may settle on something a little lighter, more spring-like right now. Your poem is lovely, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This works really well and i can feel your love for the book. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heathcliff is dark and broody. I prefer Mr Rochester. I'm doing PAD as well....I dont follow all NAPOWRIMO prompts as they are optional.I'm enjoying it but it is time consuming....bit tired (hmm) very tired LOL.....Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Heathcliff is a pretty horrible character really. Mr R is different in many ways but also hravily flawed. Those Bronte girls could only envisage their men as dark, brooding and bossy, it seems. Like Daddy dearest?

      Delete
  10. You are inspiring me to reread this classic. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've perfectly described Wuthering Heights in your opening stanza. I would reread it, but darn it all! Too depressing, what I remember of it. Yet I find myself replicating that desperate, forlorn character. BTW,, my grandma was like your grandpa. We had playing cards with all the classics. We had to match titles to authors. You just brought that memory back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandparents can be such gifts in themselves!
      Yes, one gets past wanting to read (or watch) the depressing and traumatic.

      Delete
  12. I read a long time ago. I don't remember liking it or Heathcliff, Maybe I need to read it again after you've recalled it so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there is anything likeable about Heathcliff! Nor meant to be. Albeit he is a tortured soul. I found it impossible to like any of the characters in Wuthering Heights, yet the book was fascinating. I wouldn't read it again now, though.

      Delete
  13. Good pick, Rosemary. I love this book!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!