We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

10.4.24

Learning to Swear Better


‘Lonely?’ they asked, ‘Now 

that you’re on your own?

Get a pet’ they said. 

‘A faithful dog

or a sweet little kitty.’


But no, I went out 

and bought a parrot. 

I thought it would be

the ideal companion:

communicative. 


I thought I’d teach it

to talk. Ha ha to that! 

It must have had

a previous owner. Or, 

maybe the pet shop man …? 


No. This bird could only

have belonged to a pirate.

Talk about language!

I could just see him sitting 

on Long John Silver’s shoulder.


The first time

I dropped something

and uttered a mild ‘Damn!

he went to town,

as if it was a cue.


You should have heard

the colourful invective

coming out of his mouth!

I didn’t have a clue 

what half of it meant.


But it sounded amazing. 

And you can find 

anything on Google. 

Next time, I listened 

and learned.


Now I’m a pro. I could 

turn polite gentlemen

and other elderly ladies

into trembling,

terrified prudes.


It’s fun living alone,

free to express myself –

except for my parrot, 

who teaches me 

all the right words.




For NaPo I based this on the weird headline, 'Naughty Parrot Teaches Mistress To Use Cuss Words,' and the PAD prompt was to title our poem (Blank) Better.




2 comments:

  1. Nice Parrot poem, Rosemary. My beloved grandfather cussed a lot, but never did he take the Lord's name in vein. I learned most cuss words from him, don't use them very often. There are several fellow posting folk writing every day, so far good for me. I could make a list of who I find but that takes time, two groups or more.
    ..

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!