We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

23.7.24

A Crow Calls


There’s a crow calling

outside my front door

this clear, sunny day 

in mid-winter. I look out. 

Oh, he’s a big one, fat

as a lump of coal

but rounder.


He bursts from the tree

at speed, to follow the harsh 

cry I can only just hear

of another, further away.

His bright yellow beak 

shines against that mass 

of solid black.


Then they are gone, both.

Down the hill to other

houses? Or into the near

patch of forest? Different 

birds, more melodious, return 

to my yard; warble. 

(But I like crows.)




2 comments:

  1. The "warble" sits perfectly at the end, drawing the comparison... I like crow poems..

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!