We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

22.7.24

Between the Headstones


I looked so hard

to find my name

in the annals of Poetry,

in vain. ‘Let this be

a value judgment upon you,’

said an echoing voice 

which I privately labelled 

Doom.


And it would have been

so easy to turn away. 

But I remembered 

that when I began

I wanted only

writing instruments 

and a beating heart.

I feel to find if it still beats.



No comments:

Post a Comment

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!