We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

3.7.24

A Surreal Day [Revision]

(Letting Go of Julian)


1.

The thorn in my eye makes it weep, not bleed. I cover it with my hand, to watch, one-eyed, a gigantic white-haired man who ages years as I look. When I can see again two-eyed – the barb withdrawn from an eye dimmed but not entirely wrecked – it is to observe glass flowers shatter in front of me suddenly. I forget the man who loomed so large; forget how, daily, hourly, he is shrinking even as I fail to watch.


2.

What is the nature of reality?

As my friend drives us to another town

for ‘TheTrust Fall’ movie that we missed here,

the pollen-heavy miles inflame my eyes.

In a strange, surreal state, I watch the screen

with a hand covering each eye in turn 

(to cut glare, soothe pain) as we all observe 

a far less transient torture, long-term,

likely to be fatal. It’s clear the man 

is not villain but hero. How can we 

save him? It needs all of us to keep on!

Home, I manage to smash a favourite

glass. Upset, I forget Assange – once more

blanking out that we live in the unreal.



(Written before Julian Assange’s recent, unexpected release.)

[Revision  of  I Tell You, its Been a Surreal Day (prose poem) posted 3 April '24, and its remix, Letting Go of Julian (American sonnet) posted 17 April.]


I'd welcome some critical feedback on this post. As you see I decided to use both the original piece and the remix as parts of a whole. Does that work, do you think? Or should I choose only one of them? And if so, which?


I'm sharing this with Poets and Storytellers United for Friday Writings #137: At the Last Minute. It was of course written earlier, not for this prompt; I choose it for that because Julian's subsequent release (only 12 weeks  after I saw the movie and wrote the first piece) came at the last minute.





21 comments:

  1. We do live in the unreal world where big interests are always protected - by jailing the truth or like yesterday, applauding the lie. Meanwhile impunity reigns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The physical discomfort you so wonderfully describe is echoed in the farther ethical ones - a deep and probing poem - wonderful - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jae! I'm thrilled to receive such a houghtful and positive comment

      Delete
  3. It is strange how last minute events pop out of the hat - Perhaps life needs to be seen through only one eye, as you say, to cut the glare. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hero, villain or a much more nuanced and/or far from transparent character, your prose show the empathy he managed to retain from some corners throughout his ordeals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Particularly here in Australia!

      He's always been quite transparent in fact; though others have sought to obscure this.

      Delete
  5. Hope yet things hard to watch. I'm reminded of the boy in the Snow Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely written. So good he was released but should never have been detained at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The imagery is haunting, suiting the thought-provoking theme well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed the imagery too. I like both pieces together, they are making me look for the connections.

    I also like the dual meaning of 'I manage to smash a favourite glass.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I very much appreciate this comment too. I’m glad to know this is working

      Delete
  9. These work well together but I especially admire the first. Surreal and abstract but haunting. I wouldn't have known this was about Assange without the second but the first can stand alone if you just add his last name at the beginning. Intriguing piece, Rosemary! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne. That's an interesting suggestion; I'll give it some thought. I have always been very bad at writing surrealism; this is the only time I've ever succeeded – and it came from writing about actual events rather than something dreamed or imagined, so I'm not sure it even counts. Still, I'm glad to know it is effective.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!