We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

28.3.20

A Contrast of Grandmothers

A Contrast of Grandmothers

Both my grandmothers were good, strong women. While they didn’t question the  conventional role of women in their era, and in some ways lived up to it splendidly, neither was conventional.

My Indian grandmother, my Mum’s mother, was Florence May Holmes, née Pereira. (Anglo-Indian really, with a strand of Portuguese.) I called her Nana. She was warm, soft, spontaneous, full of laughter and song, with a tender heart for other people’s troubles. She enjoyed a joke and a beer, and had three children by different fathers, only the last of whom she married — Francis Sidney Holmes, my dear Grandpa, my Mum’s stepfather, the only grandfather I knew. 


Nana loved animals, and was always trailed by several dogs. She had cats too, but dogs were her favourites. I remember her generous lap where I felt safe, loved. I remember her singing to me of ‘Gentle Jesus, meek and mild.’ I remember her letting down her long hair at night from its daytime coil, brushing it 100 times. She was the great love of my early life. She died when I was four. 


The other, Australian of English descent, was Alice Robinson, born Selina Alice Noar, always known as Alice – or Grandma. My Dad was her second son, and the second of her seven children by her husband, John Thomas (Jack) Robinson, the only love of her long life. He was an alcoholic; she, not surprisingly, was a fervent member of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union. 


Grandma disliked dogs — dirty things that should be kept outside. She didn’t care for cats either. And she wasn’t a hugger. I don’t have the warm, tactile memories of her that I do of my Nana. 


She lived interstate, so I saw her much less often than Nana. But she wrote many fond letters to Lovely Lambkin, her special name for me –  the only one of her many grandchildren to receive one. 

She sent me books for presents. (So did Grandpa Holmes.) She was the great reader from whom her children inherited the love of books. In my teens we became friends.

Always primly dressed, she too had long hair in a bun, which she brushed out at night, 100 times.


To be continued............ 



The 369-word prose prompts at Poets and Storytellers United seem to have started something! I found myself writing about my grandparents as if this could be the start of a memoir. Anyway it's only the beginning of what I want to say about them, so I'll see where it takes me.  I'm sharing it with Writers' Pantry #13.

24 comments:

  1. I love this so much. I can’t wait to read the next installment.

    “She was the great love of my early life.” ... Those memories are so precious — our first loves. You’ve reminded me of my “Aundy” and Aunt Helen. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! I have been fearfully wondering if it would even be interesting to read. This is why we need feedback, lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh!💝 This is so wonderfully portrayed, Rosemary! Two very unique and special women indeed! I found myself relating to Florence May Holmes, she reminds me of my maternal grandmother! I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of your memoir!💝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 369 words at a time might just be a way to have it happen.

      Delete
  3. Love this what a an interesting characters. I think each grandma or nana have been a blessing in someway and passed on different treasures in different ways. Can't wait to read the next bit

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does indeed sound like the beginning of a memoir... i look forward to the next instalment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy autobiographical pieces and memoirs, Rosemary, and yours reminded me of my grandmothers and roused my Sunday morning nostalgia. I’m so glad you’re going to continue it. The title is perfect – my grandmothers were both hardworking and never complained, but they were very different in other respects. Similarly, I had a nan and a grandma. You paint the word portraits so lovingly and bring them both to life for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great memoir. I never knew any of my grandparents. The last to pass away did so when I was still very young. But one fact impressed me on my recent 65th birthday. One of my grandfathers was born in 1870, so 3 generations of the same family span a century and a half, and still counting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such foand and beautiful memories of yesteryears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your sweet memories with us <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for being so encouraging. I'm glad to know it wasn't a boring read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! I love stories about Grandmas. In our part of the world we also combed our hair at night, 100 times! Yes, we believed in that practice. I would just promptly fall asleep while my hair was brushed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure we all have beautiful memories of Grandmas particularly in our lives as well Grandpas too. This was a delightful account of yours and it wouldn't surprise me to have other readers recalling theirs and writing their memories too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed your memoir...hope you have enough supplies to hunker down. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely beginning! Just thinking of grandmothers gives me extra comfort and the portraits in this are warmly done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an interesting and delightful account of your grandmothers. I will be waiting for the next installment of the memoir. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the finishing detail. Brushing her hair 100 times sounds like the beginning of a fairy tale. Also, I can totally see these ladies in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew only one grandmother my paternal grandmother, and when i think of her i remember the fragrance of cinnamon and cloves, chives and thyme. She was a market vendor.
    Of my mother's mother i know nothing. She had already died before i was born.

    Happy Sunday Rosemary.

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've written something similar of my grandmothers, and they were as diverse as yours. I loved every line of your memories, and cannot wait for the "rest of the story"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cant't wait... you have waiting for your next thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You definitely left me wanting to read more. Can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rosemary, this great. And a good place to start your memoirs. You made it very interesting.
    I also have a start on mine, a themed write posted on a special blog named after the Willie Nelson song, A l l. T h e. G i r l s. T h a t . C a m e . T h r o u g h. M y. D o o r.
    I quit working on it a few years ago. I started in lifetime entrance order. Got discouraged when my mom's got lost. This lockdown time would be time to resume. Also though if it was to be published only my family would want to read it.
    Keep up your good work. Excellent also are your Friday postings.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear Jim! Maybe try writing it in short excerpts like this?

      Delete
  21. This is a very sweet synopsis of the foundation of who you are. It gives us a glimpse into the "why" in the life of Rosemary and sparks memories of my grandmothers (and my mom, too.) Thank you for sharing and please continue.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!