We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

24.3.20

She Was Warned [Prose]

She Was Warned. She Was Given An Explanation. Nevertheless, She Persisted.

She was warned. Threatened. Often. 

Stupid woman. What did she want? Everyone knows, if you make a threat you have to mean it. She knew I meant it. She told those reporters, ‘I know I’m dead. But I’m not stopping.’  

There comes a time you have to act. Otherwise you’re just condoning. (Ha, that’s what she said, too. It was direct opposition, a head-on clash.)

She was given an explanation. Many times, by many people. Selfish, she was! We have our livelihoods to protect, our families to feed. Cattle do that for us, not trees. It’s obvious. 

Well, trees do it too, when we can sell the timber. And we can. They want it, overseas. As they want the beef. 

Sell the timber, use the land for cattle. Win-win. Our people thrive. It was explained to her, very clearly. 

Still she sat at her little desk, writing letters, watching my logging trucks pass her cottage, reporting....

It was easy to know when the Government forces were coming. So many of them are us. We always knew in time to hide the evidence. It wasn’t as if her endless letters had any real effect.

Nevertheless, she persisted. Worse, she escalated. What can you do with a woman like that? 

She spoke to foreign reporters! She was interviewed, photographed. It will go around the world. What’s it to them? This is OUR rainforest. 

Don’t tell me about the tribes. If we never really see them, they must have enough forest left. Anyway, the Government says there are only 80. Not tribes, people. Oh well, all right, that’s just one tribe. But still, one of very few. 

If they want to keep living close to the sound of chainsaws, that’s their lookout, isn’t it? They get to choose, as we get to choose. (I promise you, they’ll retreat.)

She lived unprotected. Just her husband and sister in that tiny house with her. I told you she was stupid. They slept without any warning system, not even a dog. A dark night. It was too easy. 

No, not me. Who do you think I am? I delegate.

It will always be said of me, I am a man of my word.  


Last night I watched a ‘Four Corners’ program from the (Australian) ABC on the burning of the Amazon forests with the encouragement of the Brazilian Govt., and the plight of those determined to resist. In this fictional piece based on those facts, I have conflated two different (real) activist women. The one who spoke to the reporters is still alive so far, but is also the one who said she knows she will be killed ... and is not stopping. (The other would have known that too, even as she wrote her letters; had been warned, etc.)

I was inspired to write this by Magaly’s prompt, 'Nevertheless, She Persisted', in Weekly Scribblings #12 at Poets and Storytellers United. The prompt is based on a book which was based on something that happened in US politics ... all worth reading; go have a look. (I got the book and I love it.)

12 comments:

  1. I'd like to think that this Coronavirus is a little warning from Mother Natures to us to start being sensible or else the world as we know will not exist. It is sad there are not more people and governments of course aware that we are being too greedy for the Earth to remain a reliable source of our needs in the future yet we continue to destroy it. Excellent post Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we were on a similar wavelength today, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those men of their words, who think that just because they physically didn't do the deed, they have no responsibility. Too many of that type in the world. We need to shine more light on the resisters and join them where we can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredibly fierce and powerful in its message, Rosemary! 💝 I sincerely hope that others succeed in saving the Amazon. It seems as though mankind has become more than greedy in its quest for financial gain and in turn has forgotten the value of Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very profound write
    Have a blessed Wednesday Rosemary

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of a sudden, I feel an intense urge to punch someone in the teeth.

    Now I understand the "rage... and freeze in despair" you spoke of. It's hard enough that the damage is being done, but hear a bastard gloat about the destruction... well, that adds extra fire to the feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that's part of the fictional aspect. I made up most of his words, and also put someone else's into his mouth. The man running the logging trucks and threatening the activists wasn't about to do an interview!

      Delete
  7. You always lend substance and depth to any challenge, Rosemary. This is powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bev, what a lovely compliment. I should frame that one and put it on my wall against times of self-doubt!

      Delete
  8. Yes, this is an epic and profound write about a serious topic. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is powerful. Destruction for the sake of money...I admire a woman who will speak up, get louder...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Powerful write, powerful speaker. It could only be a woman!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!