We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

14.3.20

The Ring [Prose]



The Ring

I was there when they arrived — rings from eBay, for her craftwork: for adorning wands or suspending pendulums.

‘Choose one,’ she said. (She was always giving me things.)

Among the silver and glitter, one was different — copper, engraved with symbols, the large oval stone aslant, deep blue with two tiny white spots: polished sodalite. I put it on.

I looked up sodalite. Sure enough, the perfect stone for things I was learning, things she’d urged me to work on.

I wore it constantly. One day I noticed the white spots enlarging.

‘It must be a magic ring,’ someone said.

I could hardly wait to visit her, to tell her. Her eyes shone!

‘What’s the white in sodalite?’ she asked. I Googled.

‘Calcite.’

‘What does calcite do?’

‘Various things — including cleansing and transmuting other people’s energy.’

I’m a healer. We decided it reflected my focus on helping others.

Soon the whole stone was white, only the outer rim dark blue.

One day I noticed a new blue line.

‘I must be getting self-centred,’ I thought, shifting my focus back to others. The line disappeared.

Her eyes shone even brighter when I told her that.

She was my teacher and guide, sometimes shattering my preconceptions. Sometimes I let her.  But when she said I should be her PA and get off the Age Pension, I explained that writing is the focus of my time and energy, and going off the Pension would lose me the Government-subsidised home I love. Disappointed, she accepted.

She’d been sick a long time but we believed she was mending. Suddenly she died.

Later, a reader said, ‘You’ve come to the end of a phase. No-one can ever again tell you what to do; you’re free to make your own choices.’

The ring got a little tight. One day the band broke neatly, centre back. ‘Now it’s adjustable,’ I thought.

But soon, abruptly, it fell off my hand, snapping next to the stone.

Then I remembered. ‘If a piece of jewellery someone gave you gets lost or broken, the karma between you is complete.’

The pieces rest on the shrine I made her.

Now I’m my own teacher and guide.


A 369-word story for Writers' Pantry #11 at Poets and Storytellers United.

19 comments:

  1. I knew almost instantly upon reading that you were talking about Letitia and the recollection of reading 'Moving through this change.' I especially resonate with "If a piece of jewellery someone gave you gets lost or broken, the karma between you is complete." Sending love and hugs, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an interesting thought - am thinking about the karma between two people - and how will I know if there was never any jewellery! Am going to come back to read this again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is a lovely story of the circle of life, of completion, and of freedom from the things that bind us. Thank you, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary, I found this to be so moving--the relationship, the ring and the circle it represents between the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your description of sodalite is interesting compared to its wiki page (I'm not familiar with it). I also had not heard of the karma with jewelry. Stones are fascinating to me in their beauty and the thought of the history of earth that has passed by in their existence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this bond is more than just a bond of friendship, is a bond of understanding of this universe.
    thank you for sharing this write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm grinning from ear to ear, Rosemary. I'm imagining your friend looking at the ring run its course, watching you realize that the breaking wasn't and ending but a completion... and all that feels me with a bright sort of joy. I love what the ring did for you, what it meant (and means), and I totally adore how you keep its remains. I can see Letitia smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful flow in this complements the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting concepts. Happy Sunday

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful and touching story of friendship and the pain of loss. I so identify. The history of the stones and the legend of karma were interesting as well. Indeed you're your own teacher and guide, imprinted by your mentor. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderfully written linger-worthy tale. It literally gives pause at several junctures. A pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love this story. "Completion" how we year for it, but miss signs we have reached it. You are such a beautiful spirit. So blessed to have met you through poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rosemary, this reads like an adult fairy tale, I loved it. I also looked up Calcite, I should have remembered it from a Geology course, Rocks and Minerals. And it is is the standard for Hardness of 3 (diamond the hardest, 10--quartz is 7).
    There may be some truth here, I cited, "If a piece of jewellery someone gave you gets lost or broken, the karma between you is complete." I lost my first wedding ring, first wife, while swimming in a lake. Earlier, then, and later, our karma had ended. I lost my second one too, after more than a year later I found it way bad under the seat. We are still working on things, been married 47 years this February.
    :) :)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have the power now. May you be blessed.
    Nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fascinating ring and events surrounding it. Love this and I know its a true story... so thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful tale. Made me turn towards a drawer where I have a ring. The rock in it looks determined to stay unbroken. Does karma tiptoe around diamonds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your karma with the giver is not yet finished, even if it appears that the relationship is over. Perhaps it will continue to play out in future lifetimes?

      Delete
  17. My apologies for a late response...covid- 19 had me busy! I love the story here...coming full circle, and the ring. It made me think about the dynamics of friendships

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!