We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

3.3.20

The Horsemen Arrive [Prose]


























The Horsemen Arrive

The Red rode fast across the land – not War as we’re used to thinking of it (though there are always, already wars) but raging flames we fought on many fronts. There were casualties, deaths. There was Fear.

Stark Pestilence came next, White as terror. First the locust plague in Africa, killing crops. That must lead inevitably to the Black: the lack, the Famine. A painful way to go (so I’m told) starvation: painful and slow. Then Coronavirus arrived, spread by contagion. What else is contagious? Oh yes, Fear.

The Pale one picks us off individually so far – was always here, has come and gone, will come again. Nothing surer. Death always comes. And perhaps, sooner or later, will come for us all at once, whoever are left. And that, finally, will be our Judgment.


                                                                       
*********
 

That’s one scenario. It’s looking true so far. So how can we resist a global Apocalypse? I don’t have an answer for that. Maybe we can’t. But I’m damned if I’m going abject, condemned by contagious Fear. That’s the true global epidemic. As more and more we succumb to despair, more and more the Enemy has won.

Oh yes, there is an Enemy. What kills our aliveness is the Enemy. What convinces us to give up is the Enemy. What is anti-Life is the Enemy. My small, personal death in its own right time is not anti-Life; it’s part of the cycle of Life. The Enemy robs us of Life while we’re still alive. Fear is a friend when it inspires us to fight back; a killer when it drags us into darkness, apathy, loss of delight.

Just before summer, I had my roof gutters cleared of debris. I got the Fires Near Me app on my phone. I placed on my altar, between the fire and water corners, a crystal called Dragon Stone. It is said to be 70,000,000 years old and to know how to put out fire. Then I went on a holiday, to be with people I love. In a city ringed with heavy smoke, we re-unioned affectionately, we laughed, we shared meals. I photographed flowers and beautiful buildings.

I have a little cough. I’ll get it checked, just in case. (I’m not really worried, but I’m not stupid.) Meanwhile I’m planning my dinner. I’m looking forward to reading more of a book I like….



A 369-word piece of prose for Weekly Scribblings #9: Contagion at Poets and Storytellers United.


Image: Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (by Arnaldo Dell'Ira, project of mosaic 1939-1940).jpg. Public Domain.



9 comments:

  1. A most compelling prose piece, Rosemary! I resonate with; "Fear is a friend when it inspires us to fight back; a killer when it drags us into darkness, apathy, loss of delight."💝

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world has been through so much and now coronavirus is here, Stark Pestilence, indeed. What you say about the Enemy is right. I had come to terms with my own small, personal death, but I will fight the Enemy for that right. That’s one thing about being retired – we can stay at home and read if we choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to fighting the good fight. It's always good to have reminders to drink in joy whenever you can. No point in doing the Enemy's job for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear the hoofbeats daily. Sometimes they're musical but, these days, mostly not. Great writing, R.
    and thanks for your comments on my post/response to the prompt. I rarely respond, but thought maybe an explanation was in order. Sorry I was so opaque...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fear is always the biggest killer. And it insidious nature, the way it bites at our hearts while we try to breathe is its strongest weapon. As your piece suggests, everything dies at some point--it's the circle of life and death--but we shouldn't allow the fear monster to take our living before our time. We are victorious every time we continue to do what we love, even when life gets complicated. And this attitude spreads. So, if we are lucky, we'll eventually have a No-to-Fear pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luv that 4 horsemen analogy that is truly the feeling that is cast to our present day dreads and pestilence
    Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree that fear is our enemy and anyone who fans the flames of fear (no pun intended) contributes to that propaganda. I won't consider them an enemy as sometimes they are a party to ignorance.
    The strongest lines to me:
    "The Enemy robs us of Life while we’re still alive. Fear is a friend when it inspires us to fight back; a killer when it drags us into darkness, apathy, loss of delight."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the planning of your dinner and reading your book. Important comforts evoking a contagious feeling of contentment. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful, Rosemary. Dinners and reading are perfect distractions from
    other people's hysteria. Be well.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!