We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

24.8.21

Glimpses

Glimpses 


(Micropoems)



where did she go?

oh – a cat-shaped lump

under the rug 
















 


*********

   

you look pretty

she says, to the half-face

above my mask 


*********


in the story

her husband dies —

I cry and cry


*********


close confidante once

she fobs me off for years –

at last I unfriend


*********


rainy day –

no butterflies, did they

stay in bed?




The second lesson from David Lanoue's book, Write Like Issa, is about viewing the world in a direct, child-like way: 'Reflect on a past or present experience without your adult blinders.... Don't be afraid if your haiku doesn't sound fancy or important—for this is actually a good thing.' For the record, I don't think I succeeded very well in recapturing a child's view, but the attempt produced better results overall than if I hadn't made it.


Sharing with Writers' Pantry #85 at Poets and Storytellers United. (Apologies to those who have seen these already on Instagram or facebook.)


26 comments:

  1. I've yet to master haiku and I was quite guilty of trying to sound profound. I enjoy the child-like wonder these exude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy them.

      Lol, I'm sure we're all guilty of trying to sound profound at times, in any kind of poetry. Unfortunately it seems to work against the poetry.

      Delete
  2. The first about the cat-shaped lump made me smile. Looks like you're having lots of fun with your cat. :) And I relate to the piece about a close confidante; nothing like being fobbed off by someone you trust. Quite a collection, your skillful haikus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them, Khaya. Yes, I am enjoying my cat very much.

      Delete
  3. enjoyed your haiku, this one was my favorite
    "rainy day –

    no butterflies, did they

    stay in bed?"

    well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wonder about those absent butterflies too☺Happy Sunday

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely micropoems, most of them quite relatable.
    recently, i find it hard to write haiku & short verses. maybe i forget to view the world in a child-like way. or, as in 'small stones', stop and focus on the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many things nowadays making life very serious. Perhaps we have to be quite conscious about living in the moment, at least now and then. I wouldn't have managed it either without help from Issa and Lanoue.

      Delete
  6. I love these sprinkled splashes of your life. Your cat is your muse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she so is! (Now that you mention it.) Thanks for pointing that out.

      Delete
  7. Each poem is precious. I especially hold on to the "unfriend" one, although I was the one who was unfriended years ago (even before there was Facebook), and I can still feel the sting of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm highly complimented, as I admire your own micropoems so much.
      I was unfriended too, by the person in this poem, in a gradual way – almost ghosted, and it did hurt – before I finally decided to do it to her in a more official way. (Which probably she never even noticed.) It was my way of very belatedly acknowledging and accepting what was so, aka giving up hope.

      Delete
  8. I ALWAYS ENJOY YOUR SNIPPETS, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How glorious ... each one! "You look pretty" my favorite. I smile with my eyes these days than ever before!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I do hope my eyes are sufficiently expressive!

      Delete
  10. I love them all, Rosemary. The second and third go right for the heart, especially the third. And I think that you certainly succeeded in writing like Issa with the first and the last.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The playfulness of the first one really appeals to me, but I do like all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The butterflies staying in bed is an amusing image!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!