We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

27.8.21

Moments

 Moments

(Micropoems)


earrings and lipstick

in solitary lockdown –

for my own delight


*********


rushing wind 

blows harder – relieving

the days’ sameness


*********


after poohing

little cat runs up and down 

celebrating


*********


no, yowling kitty,

I can’t stop your tummy-ache —

pooh for yourself


*********


she leaps lightly

to the highest shelf —

guardian cat



















Apologies if you've already seen these individually on Instagram and/or facebook. Here is their context:


Lesson 3 in Write Like Issa by David Lanoue is about comic haiku, the humour residing in down-to-earth images which might not usually be considered fit subjects for poetry, such as bodily functions.  He says , 'A successful comic haiku in the style of Issa should provoke, in a breath, both laughter and thought.' 


The above, written while I was reading this chapter, were responses to whatever was happening in the moment. Though hopefully earthy and unpretentious, they aren't particularly funny – some not at all. However, the examples Lanoue cites are of gentle humour rather than side-splitting. He further says that such haiku reveal 'ironies and absurdities in ordinary life', so perhaps in that way I come close.


Sharing with Poets and Storytellers United at Writers' Pantry #87.



22 comments:

  1. The first one will stay with me for a bit. I think I will follow it. I haven't painted my nails in ages. And I was just gifted a few new colors. I should do it for me.

    The pooh ones made me laugh aloud, mostly because on days that my stomach is killing me we all celebrate when I finally go to the bathroom. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear oh dear, you would sympathise perfectly with Poppi, then!

      Delete
  2. Sweet and short words, made me smile:)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this medium of writing, I've not seen anything like it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these snippets of concretes, lipstick, wind and the whim of cats. I imagine your earrings dangling and a cat's paw upon one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful micro poems, they made smile. And I can relate to earrings and lipstick for own delight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. these little moments in time, only very short poetry can do justice to it. My favourite is the second one. In a lockdown, probably we look forward to the wind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first senryu resonates - me.
    Happy you dropped by my blog today Rosemary

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been doing some glam days at home to cheer myself up. Not every day mind you (LOL, some days I just am happy for the little things, like Poppy is). But my inner child still appreciates playing dress up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done it every day either; mostly comfort wins. But sometimes one craves a little touch of glam.

      Delete
  9. Yes, the little things, the little joys, and the things that pass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your writing and the wonderful photo.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!