We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

20.8.21

Snippets

Snippets


(Micropoems)



cold night –

even for the cat

more blankets


*********


drowsing

over my laptop –

warm day


*********



Night Terrors


(1)


high shelf –

cat hesitates 

to jump down


















(2)


ibis feet

banging on my roof

4am


*********


loud thump

prowling cat

lands hard


*********


from next door

a high note —

child’s play


*********


Spring music –

the magpie also

craves company


*********


scrambling the wall

tiny spider sees me

as danger



















I'm giving myself a little course from David Lanoue's book, Write Like Issa. The first lesson details Issa's empathy with other living things. Summing up, Lanoue says: 'Write like Issa. Write with compassion yet understatement. Leave space for your readers' minds to wander and wonder.'

Sharing with Writers' Pantry #84 at Poets and Storytellers United. (Apologies to those who have seen these already on Instagram or facebook.)


27 comments:

  1. Drowsing over my laptop made me stop and the magpie craving company got my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so good. Very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so good. These are the little things that we tend to not notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did notice those noisy bird feet!

      I'm glad you like these; thank you.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful words, the reader can imagine what further could happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know I got what I was trying for; thank you..

      Delete
  5. Lovely snippets, especially the living creatures prowling the night in your "Night Terrors" section.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosemary, I'm loving these snippets. You started well with the cold and warm, we don't often think of those two on our minds' same pages. Best for me was the cat on the bookshelf, I have one pictured 'there', I think, on my other blog. Our daughter was terrified the first time she saw her first and only cat perched on top of her refrigerator.
    No, the poor little bird was in too many pieces to glue back together, like Humpty. They were a wedding present we received 48 years ago.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's late Winter here, nearly Spring, so we are having chilly nights and days that warm up by early afternoon.

      Oh, what a shame about your broken bird.

      Delete
  7. luv these haiku. The last one my favourite, who more afraid the tiny creatures or us

    Thanks for dropping by my blog today

    much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  8. I especially love that last one, but then again I am fond of spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like all this glimpses, Rosemary. Child's play and tiny spider are two of my favorites. And the quote is awesome (and so very true).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! – you've just given me a post title for the next lot: Glimpses.

      Yes, that quote is a great piece of haiku guidance.

      Delete
  10. To watch a cat is to have an endless supply of inspiration for poems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No one does snippets better than you, Rosemary. Each is a perfect link in a strand of beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The guidance I'm getting from Lanoue's book is really helpful.

      Delete
  12. Snippets of observations. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "ibis feet

    banging on my roof

    4am"

    this haiku feels very issa to me... well done! loved all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these! Especially:

    “ibis feet
    banging on my roof
    4am”

    “scrambling the wall
    tiny spider sees me
    as danger”

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!