We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

12.10.21

Gifts Bestowed


 Gifts Bestowed


Penny phoned, regarding bad energy and things breaking down.

‘Can you help in a house clearing? Today?’


My guides spoke in my mind: 


‘Full regalia.’


I was new to formal magic. (Natural magic, with me all my life, was a different matter.) I owned no regalia as such, but chose a long dress and crystal necklaces.


I suddenly felt I needed a special ring for my right forefinger, but had nothing to fit.


‘It will be given,’ I was told.


At Penny’s, almost the first thing I saw was a silver ring on her windowsill, shaped as a Celtic knot. Aha!





‘Can I borrow this?’ I asked. 


‘Oh, you can have it,’ she said. A client had given her a box of trinkets, she’d picked what she wanted and the rest were lying around for any takers. It fitted my forefinger perfectly. Since then – over 20 years ago – it’s hardly been off.  


We smudged the house, going widdershins around it. (Anti-sunwise, which is clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.) We went around again, drumming. I pointed my newly-ringed finger in a dramatic ‘Begone!’ gesture, putting intense willpower behind it. Then I filled the whole space with Reiki. Thereafter, she reported, the troublesome incidents stopped.


A few years later, while I was decluttering papers, a cut-out of the printed word, ‘Master’, stuck to my left forefinger. A friend said jokingly,


‘That must be your Master finger!’


(She knew that, as a Reiki Master, while I use both hands, one is my ‘power hand’.)


Then one Sunday I got a big hit to go to the local market and find a scarab ring for that finger.


I 'just knew' the right stall, but after they showed me all their scarab rings and none suited, I began to wonder. Finally they pulled a box from under the counter.


There was my silver scarab ring, underside shaped to the contours of my left forefinger: a perfect fit. It too has seldom left that finger since.





Two strands: past-life Egyptian recollections; this-life Scottish ancestry.


Today, with so much hand sanitising, these flat rings are the only two I still wear.


When I direct energy, they add their power to mine.




For Weekly Scribblings #91 at Poets and Storytellers United, Magaly invited us to write poetry or prose inspired by personal symbols. Not a symbol that holds the same meaning for everyone, but something special to you'.  


The rings are of course shown here larger than life-size,  for the detail.



18 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rosemary. This was very informative, I like the Celtic scarab ring better of the two. And I would wear it (I don't wear my wedding ring but that's me. Mrs. Jim doesn't either, her fingers have arthritis.).
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them both, obviously. But it's Celtic knot and Egyptian scarab, so I still don't know which one you prefer.

      Delete
  2. Interesting.
    Happy Wednesday

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those rings are stunning. What beautiful reminders of spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and because I wear them all the time, ever-present.

      Delete
  4. That is one of the things I love about personal symbols. When we see them, they make an impression that is obviously and undeniable. I had a similar reaction the first time I wielded a particular hammer. I knew that it would never be just a hammer for me.

    I really love how easy this piece moves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I also have a hammer that is special to me. When I became single again after 27 years with my children's father, I realised I needed my own tools. I was able to choose a slender-but-strong hammer that didn't feel so weighty in my hand that it was hard to use, like men's hammers. I don't know if mine was made for women, but it's light and graceful so it feels that way. It is a great treasure and lives in a drawer in my living-room, where it stays shiny, not in the box with other tools. (My secateurs, and my small-handled screw-driver with interchangeable ordinary and Phillips heads, live with it.)

      Delete
    2. PS My Youngest showed me that it's not the weight of a hammer that gets the job done, so much as where you hold it and how you wield it.

      Delete
  5. What lovely rings! I'm drawn to the Celtic knot. I've always worn a ring on my pointer finger, but no special ring for no special purpose. It's obvious in your case the rings add their power to yours. May it so be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As we say in America ... I'm totally blown away! This was so incredibly entertaining ... and informative. Layers of Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Smile.) I did have to make a conscious decision to be so upfront about such matters. But after all, I feel I have lots of true friends in this community.

      Delete
  7. Things find you, things that are somehow exactly what you need. I try to tell myself it's all very random, try to be very rational and scientific... but things find you just when you need them...and that's just the way it is! I love this beautiful sharing of your life and magic and rings. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love it, Rajani! As for being rational, I think our reason is also a gift we are meant to use.

      Delete
  8. Rosemary if you are a true witch I would very much appreciate it if you could get rid of the termites wasps and mice which have invaded AND Are destroying my house in the bush...I will have to go back soon so if you can arrange it in the next couple of weeks before I get there...that wopuld be good...Also maybe you could throw in a couple of curses on anyone who tries to break into the house as well.It is my birthday today and this can be your present to me.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many happy returns of the day!

      But sorry, I don't do curses. Because I am a true witch, I'm much too aware of how they could rebound on me! (It has happened in the past.) Putting protection over your house would be a better way to deal with possible trespassers. And really, what good would the curses really do anyway? Surely you want prevention rather than revenge.

      I haven't had any experience with termites or wasps, so I don't know how successful that might be. If they have already destroyed part of your house, you might have to take more practical measures as well. I do know from experience that mice are fairly uncooperative, but sometimes can be reasoned with. I can but try. However, I have never attempted to achieve results, with any creature, from a distance – let alone not even knowing the location of your house. I'll see what I can do, though, and you can let me know in a couple of weeks whether and to what degree it succeeded.

      Delete
    2. I suppose the other thing to say is that witchcraft is very down-to-earth, and works WITH nature and the laws of nature. For instance, most witches would probably research herbs that wasps might not like to be near, and start growing them ... things like that.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!