We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

6.10.21

Imaginary Friend

Imaginary Friend


Shadows fall through water.

I say to the you in my mind:

We are at October. For you

it’s heavy with autumn. Here,

Spring is giving us, again,

increasing light. 


But, for now,

the light is filtered. 

It has been raining

on the clouded river

towards the end of the day.

Shadows increasingly fall.


Where are you at present?

Traversing autumn

while I murmur of spring,

do you perchance also

watch light and shadow

rise and fall through a river? 


Are you even alive any more,

traveller? Where do you now

wander, and why?

I watch the River Tweed

and think of the Guadalupe

where once we lingered.


It was almost Beltane

(in April). I had two that year:

one there, one here. Now

as Beltane looms again

in October, I am doubly alone.

I think of you, and I wonder.























Photo by Glenn Claire on Unsplash


This picture is of neither the Tweed nor the Guadalupe, but Rock River in Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests, USA. However, the image suits the poem.

 

Note: There are two Tweed Rivers (that I know about). Mine is in Australia, not Scotland.


Written in response to Weekly Scribblings #90: October at Poets and Storytellers United.




24 comments:

  1. I'm being literal, Rosemary, this is also heavy. I've been in Aus and NZ in December and January, South America also in November and December. Those are the best times.
    If and when Beltane is celebrated it will be around May Day or Easter. Also the Eastern States more so than the rest of U.S.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes, but it is not just in the daytime. As Wikipedia says:
      Neopagans usually celebrate Beltane on 30 April – 1 May in the Northern Hemisphere and 31 October – 1 November in the Southern Hemisphere, beginning and ending at sunset.
      (I was in Lamesa, Texas for Beltane in 2006. And again back here for it six months later.)

      So you like warm weather! So do I.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see Peru in October. It goes through the inverse of the seasonal cycle where I am too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it in (its and my) autumn, and it was very good then.

      Delete
  3. Wondering about the missing is an exercise in poignancy that often results in poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something about this one brings tears to my eyes. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have relatives who live on the Rock River in Illinois! It is always enigma to me that the land "down under" is celebrating spring when I am basking in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we're doing a bit of basking here, too, as the days get nice and warm.

      Delete
  6. "Autumn loneliness" well penned
    Happy Wednesday

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  7. This could be its own poem:

    “while I murmur of spring,
    do you perchance also
    watch light and shadow
    rise and fall through a river”

    That photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moments, specific locations (such as rivers, trees, holidays) remind us of those who we were once close - this poem does a wonderful job with the longing for, the wondering where such a past loved one might be...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking at old photos makes me feel that way, too. I love these thoughts that filter through your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't think I had anything to write for this prompt, and suddenly all this bubbled up from the subconscious!

      Delete
  10. There is such a warm longing in this one, and I like that very much. I love that speaks of loving both spring and autumn, in October. And I'm jealous of the thought of experiencing two Beltanes. How wondrous that must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the other hand, that same year I didn't get to experience my favourite, Samhain.

      Delete
  11. October from your perspective feels lovely 'traversing autumn while I murmur of spring' ~ I have experienced your land in an October and yearn to journey back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever do, make sure to take in Northern Rivers, NSW, and come stay with me a few days!

      Delete
  12. "shadows fall through water" - so lovely.
    I am traversing Autumn in New York.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!