We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

6.6.24

Evaluation

'How many carats should I weigh this love?'


This love

can’t walk on water

won’t fit your finger

doesn’t melt pain

 

promises nothing

rescues no-one.

 

This love

sees with the heart

walks through walls

gives the invisible

 

a dream that grows

real roses.



From my recent chapbook, Letters to a Dead Man,* released 

2023(This piece first written 1982. 


For Friday Writings #130 at Poets and Storytellers United, 

Magaly invites us to be inspired by a quotation from a book 

we've just read. I just read the delightful The Lost Bookshop 

by EvieWoods, in which one character tells another that a 

certain inscription in French 'means that one sees clearly only 

with the heart.' He then notes that it is a quotation from 

Antoine de Saint-Exupery – which is where I first came across 

it, ithe book The Little Prince, translated as: 'It is only with 

the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible 

to the eye' (the original source of my allusion in this poem – 

which, obviously, was not written for the present prompt, but 

fits it serendipitously). 





*Letters to a Dead Man is obtainable via my website 

www.nissen-wade.com



20 comments:

  1. So tender and every chosen word so carefully placed - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jae. It means much, as you yourself are a master of tenderness, and of well-chosen words well-placed.

      Delete
  2. a dream that grows real roses... so many layers in that line!! Love this poem. Also love all things "Little Prince".....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem and very insightful . - great last line .

    ReplyDelete
  4. True love? I best like the line, "won’t fit your finger" is talking of love, but I read it as the 'wedding ring'. They often fake marriage to someone, or perhaps to all.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did mean to imply a wedding ring, in lines saying all the things 'this love' did NOT promise. A true love all the same.

      Delete
  5. a dream that grows real roses Love it A beautiful poem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosemary, Short succinct, beautifully balanced - I admire this very much. A real pleasure to read - tells its own story...
    " A dream that grows
    real roses..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott, for these kind words, much appreciated.

      Delete
  7. Thoughtful and well constructed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful. I love the a dream that grows real roses. I think some loves can walk on water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen. It was Jesus who, we are told, walked on water. I meant to imply that 'this love' was not promising any Christian saving of the soul. (On the other hand, I say it does walk through walls, which may be the sort of magic you have in mind.)

      Delete
  9. Love the contrast between the beginning and the end. Makes me think of how worlds, people, loves... can be so different from one another. Some cruel and selfish. Others unseen, but so very nourishing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "This love sees with the heart"

    What a lovely soft way to look at love. Beautiful poem, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you'll see from the notes, not my original thought, but one I'm happy to embrace.

      Delete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!