We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

6.2.19

Dreaming of Andrew



Dreaming of Andrew

There he, is my dear husband, not dead after all. How
could he have been here all this time and I didn’t know?
Still white-haired, he’s walking freely. His beautiful face,
when he sees me coming towards him, fills with a glow.

He’s in a little stone house by the beach. I’ve not seen
this place before, but he has been living here it seems,
cared for by an old friend of ours who, it turns out, owns
this cottage. (No need to explain things further in dreams.)

We are so happy! Together again, what rapture!
… Even after I wake up, I can still recapture
that joy, so strong in the dream that it stays with me now –
a sure foundation which nothing will ever fracture.


A Rubaiyat, for Poetry Forms – The Rubaiyat at dVerse. I learn online that 'Rubaiyat' refers to both the ancient Persian poetic form and to its English variants. Reading that the original Persian had 13 syllables per line and no set metre, I thought I'd try that. The rhyme scheme is one of several traditional variations. I found the 13-syllable line unexpectedly hard to manage and the results rather prosey. However, even Fitzgerald's translation of Omar is more philosophical than imagistic a lot of the time, so I'll let it be.

Yes, the dream and its aftermath did happen, quite recently. I realise with hindsight that the dream cottage was at a beach which was the scene of the joyful reunion of a long-parted couple in a movie I saw not long ago; and the friend who owned the cottage in my dream is someone who did sometimes come and spend time with Andrew in his final months, when I was his carer, so that I could go out for a walk.


12 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have such a sweet dream-visit! I can see the glow on his face, and even the cottage. Maybe he is really there waiting, though for our sake i hope it is long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful visit for a beautiful love ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the serendipity in life. There is so much we don't know....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary, to have dreams like this, make the ache of daily life, worthwhile. Only hope that you continue to have such dreams, filled with love and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you described the glow of your husband's face upon recognizing you. Nice approach to the form.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosemary, first off, I love your dream and how you fit it into the form. As to figuring out where the cottage was, if that feels "right" to you, then it is so. If it feels like it was something else, it may be. The subconscious uses what it has at hand to get its messages to us. Your husband's face filling with glow had to bring such joy and peace to you <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martin used to say: "Meet me on the astral plane" before we slept or if we were apart, and it seems your dream is one part of that place. I was impressed with your rhymes because I barely noticed them as well as putting the whole together into 13 syllables

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, some of them are slant rhymes (smile).

      I hope you and Martin are still meeting, too!

      Delete
  8. I think the enjambment helps with the 13-syllable problem. I'll have to try that--I could not get 13 syllables to work at all, but yours flows well.
    What a lovely dream, too. Made me smile to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful.... trying out the thirteen syllable version, and with such a story. A dream like this seems like almost a greeting...

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the story telling here, it flows well, a dream within a dream

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is truly wonderful when the joy, or love, or positive energy of a dream sustains after the waking. I've had several dreams over the years in which I have a wonderful visit with my son Aaron. The writing was dream like and very tender. Beautiful Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!