We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

14.2.19

Like a Dandelion Pushing Through Concrete


In the midst of danger and pain,
in the midst of cruelty and fear,
strangely when you come near
it seems there is no bar, no lock, no chain.

In the midst cruelty and fear
our eyes meet and our every word,
we know, is finally heard.
You grow daily more dear.

Our eyes meet and our every word
becomes poetry, becomes heart-song.
We are home to each other, we belong
in each other’s eyes and voice. It is good.

Becomes poetry, becomes heart-song –
in the midst of danger and pain –
this secret discourse, this tricky terrain:
all is well even where everything is wrong.

In the midst of danger and pain,
in the midst of cruelty and fear,
strangely when you come near
it seems there is no bar, no lock, no chain.


For the catena rondo form challenge at Poetic Asides. Except, now it's done, I perceive that I have got the rhyme scheme a bit wrong and it's not really a catena rondo ... not quite. A catena rondo variation, perhaps!

Also sharing with Poets United's Midweek Motif ~ Love

It's Valentine's Day. I remember and celebrate someone I loved in difficult circumstances.

25 comments:

  1. From the title to the last line it's absolutely exquisite, powerful and so full of freedom just as Love should be. The form seems perfect for the content. Beautiful Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, I have now discovered I didn't get the form quite right – but it still served me in writing this poem, and I won't change it now.

      Delete
  2. This form looks difficult but interesting. Loved the poem. No matter how difficult a situation, being in love makes coping (in the initial stages)much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sumana, and this is my new favorite of all your poems. My heart pumps faster in recognition and I love the title. Yes, yes.
    ". . . Becomes poetry, becomes heart-song –"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, to become poetry with another, while everything is breaking. Pure magic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The title alone illustrates the power of love. Love thriving in hostile environments, defying boundaries...and blooms until it belongs. Powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the heart-song, the rightness.......and am intrigued by this form which I have not come across before. I like the repetition. It really works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd observed it correctly there would have been even more repetition: the last line of each stanza is supposed to be the same as the first. But too late – this is the poem I wrote, and I like it as is.

      Delete
  7. Don't change a thing! It is perfect. I don't care for these repeating line things but this works well. Wonderful tribute to your love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No, I won't change it. I would have to sacrifice too many things that are working.

      Delete
  8. Love it powerful and beautiful. Love is above cruelty and fear

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got me at the title Rosemary. Love is a powerful thing, any way you look at it. Beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful Rosemary. No matter, if you didn't comply perfectly with the form, you wrote something so meaningful and emotive.

    I hope your memories comfort you this Valentine's day.
    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The knowing and common understanding, bonding the lovers is so deep, so profound, so love.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog today Risemary

    Much💟love

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two people meeting in the right place at the right time somehow break every bar, every lock, every chain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have been considered wrong place and time – but to meet at all was miraculous, and after all I suppose it was the right place and time for love to blossom.

      Delete
  13. We are home to each other- that I think has to be the perfect description of love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your title, ‘Like a Dandelion Pushing Through Concrete’ is a poem on its own, Rosemary! I like the form and the intricate repetition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so important that lovers have trust in one another as well as enjoying their relationship. But being able to laugh at mistakes you make at first is fun rather than a disaster and ensure that your partner is always your best friend who you tell your troubles to (and not talk about your relationship with others).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true – but this poem is not referring to early mistakes so much as external problems.

      Delete
  16. so meaningful...loved this!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exsquisite! The form works so well with your voice and theme in this one!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!