We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

15.6.20

Hello Earth #13



Hello again, Earth.

Here I am, in the late afternoon, the sky already dark at 5pm. My home feels like a cave.

Earth,
this winter evening you've created encloses and enfolds me, bleak and cosy at once, after the day of rain. Yesterday was different, one serendipitously fine day amongst rainy ones. I went out for lunch on my friends’ patio. There were five of us, a couple visiting as well as me. We’ve known each other since 1999, when we were all neighbours (and my Andrew was still very much alive). 




Leaning in, we feasted, drank good rosé, and reminisced. There were vegetable and fish curries — none quite hot enough for me, whose Mum grew up in India (despite the cook describing one as ‘poisonously hot’) but not so mild as to be tasteless either. There was the most delectable tart-sweet mango sorbet. Later we strolled around our hosts’ garden; I photographed roses, camellias and begonias, and a tiny turtle figurine in a huge dish. On the way home I stopped to snap the cloudy late sky just before sundown. But now I am back in my cave. I think I have been managing isolation well — and I have, compared with many — but, even eschewing hugs and refraining from getting too close, it was surprisingly good to dress up, go out and have real live conversations with real live people (not through a screen). 




Listing gratitudes: my years in this Caldera, the people I’ve met here, the times we’ve had, how so many of us were led here, called here ... for the blessing of this magical land, this ancient earth, this cradle of life forms including human, this realm of living Spirit.




Offering you, Earth, my thanks for this wondrous life I’ve been blessed with. It was good to get the miseries over early in my life, to travel more and more towards fulfilment. I like where I am. 




Sharing (a couple of months later) with Poets and Storytellers United, at Writers' Pantry #31.

26 comments:

  1. "I like where I am" - that is so blissful - not just in "normal" times, but these difficult days as well, to find that calm centre and feel grateful must be magical...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it pretty good really. Had a video call with family members interstate today; things like that help.

      Delete
  2. Good friends, good food, good wine...all like a dream of another day to this hermit. I'm glad you are still living the good life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now and then, with great care. Restrictions were briefly lifted a little – enough to enjoy the occasion described.

      Delete
  3. Good times with our loved ones are a treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful hello, a thank you letter to the earth, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You remind us to be grateful for all the blessings and be content where we are, "I like where I am." Great use of acrostic too, each line centers the reader in the moment. A very beautiful and meditative letter to Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever and uplifting post - I especially like the conclusion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to hear you are socializing in this pandemic season of social distancing

    much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is deeply moving, Rosemary!💝 I love the image of "vegetable and fish curries," and also "mango sorbet," (mind you I have mango ice-cream in the fridge which I just run to after this) the nostalgia in this earthello is palpable and I agree, it certainly feels better to have live conversations instead of those on screen. I met my relatives yesterday on occasion of Eid after four months! It was refreshing!💝

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life often has ups and down but having great moments of your past life are worth remembering when things are not so good. Hopefully they'll be round the next corner to add to your previous ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is rightfully beautiful. i liked how you described your ventures here. so full of gravity and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, long for human contact without the intermediary of screens. How wonderful that you were able to satisfy that longing. Best of all is the fact that you are grateful for the life you've lived and are still living. It has dark places, and painful places, but you have found your place. Blessed be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss those face to face moments too. But thank goodness for Zoom and telephones and all the other technology that keeps us connected.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the way you share the beauty you have/are experiencing. The garden is amazing and those clouds just uplifting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your contentment shines through this snippet of prose. Thanks for sharing your pics and your lovely life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a mix of things that we experience and feel right now--It was wonderful to read about your adventures and about the comfort of your being home--as I write this, I am sitting underneath the plum tree in the back yard--it is my cave--

    ReplyDelete
  16. So rich and calming. I like your letter to Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at mango sorbet! All right, also at the idea of spending time and sharing a meal with friends. What a treat. So much to be thankful for. I love the pictures, too, especially the blooms prettying the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I like where I am" ... I had exactly this conversation yesterday at a small gathering at our home, a memorial for a 98 year old gentleman who passed during the time no gatherings were allowed for a funeral. His ashes sat in a lovely box surrounded by photographs of his long life, each present told a special memory of him, and a brief video was played as well. A cousin and I, both in our 80s, the matriarchs of the gathering of less than 10, shared your exact thought, being content with this time in our life. Like you, it was so good to be with people. I have to say a few forbidden hugs may have happened!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed this. The descriptions and positivity are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A love letter...positive and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Friends, flowers and fluffy clouds - perfect. "I like where I am." This is probably the greatest point in time where one can be. I'm glad for you, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!