We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

19.6.20

Hello Earth #18

Hello Earth

Here I am again, checking in with you, as the night gets more and more hushed.

Earth, I am liking these wintry days and nights so far. But I know they will get much colder before we’re done. It seems strange to me that this weekend is Solstice, officially mid-winter, as proven by the shortest day — yet we have two more months of winter to go, and the weather will get a deal more wintry than it is now. 

Leaning in, I savour the pleasure of having driven to the coast today to see my chiropractor, despite an off-putting burst of rain as I set out. My first visit since lockdown. I haven’t had pain, but was beginning to get a hunch back and a little-old-lady shuffle. I came out straight and sure-footed again. Just as well! Tomorrow the Goddess circle resumes meeting. We’ll be dancing the Solstice in — keeping the circle more widely spaced than we used to, with dances that don’t require holding hands. 

Listing gratitudes: that I can get adjustments from a good chiropractor; that I have already responded so well to her treatments that in this time without them I didn’t go back into pain; that I’ll see some beloved women tomorrow; that I can still joyfully dance.

Offering to you my gratitude and joy, Earth, I look forward to dancing on, with and for you tomorrow.



Written 6 months ago. Sharing now, in December 2020, with Poets and Storytellers United at Writers' Pantry #50. At this present time we approach Summer Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere, but are in the middle of a sudden cold, rainy spell quite suited to this post.

Despite the cheery words I wrote that day, most of us went back into isolation after all, for the second wave of the Coronavirus, and are only just starting to venture out more often again, in time for Christmas.

31 comments:

  1. Well you certainly made it relevant to the readers in the Northern hemisphere! Hopefully Coronavirus cases will reduce substantially during in our warmer weather now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! And I hope people will still be vigilant and not relax TOO much just yet.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful that the chiropractor had such a great effect on you. I never have been to one before. I have been to a goddess circle. We did a sort of dance where you had to move from person to person and stopped for prolonged eye gazing. Was quite a cool experience

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you continue your ‘Hello Earth’ series into 2021, Rosemary, so that we can look back at 2020 with different eyes. I like the way you describe your visit to the chiropractor, the contrast between ‘beginning to get a hunch back and a little-old-lady shuffle’ and ‘straight and sure-footed again’. My chiropodist has a similar effect on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only did them for a month, but every day, so it is taking a while to share them with the P&SU community. I do feel I'd like to get back to this kind of writing. Next year I might try one a week or something.

      Delete
  4. I have gotten used to reading your novel 'hello earth' episodes and look forward to them
    Warm Wishes

    Muchđź’—love

    ReplyDelete

  5. i am happy that things are going your way. that you have a good chiropractor, that you will be dancing the Solstice in with friends. yes, that's something to be grateful for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dancing on, with, and for Earth sounds so magical! I love it, and I'm glad you haven't had pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dancing in spite of "social distancing" is an act of defiance in the face of danger. Keep dancing. Always. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sacred circle dancing, so can easily be done without touching, and with a bit of space between individuals.

      Delete
  8. This is a cheering post & these always make me stop and think about what I'm overlooking -- the hopeful view that easily eludes me right now. Glad that things are looking better once again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice – and illuminating – to take a few moments to tune in to Earth and oneself in this way.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for (re)sharing, R. Dance on, Sister! I'll be thinking of your summer while I watch the snow accumulate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Earth would make a nice book title. Love the format and sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, what a lovely suggestion! I just might.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you shared that note in the end, because I was so very confused. For a non-caffeinated moment, I panic at the idea that you were in the middle of winter when I know it to be summer. The fact that it was raining then as it is now didn't help. Now that the panic is gone, I find myself missing chiropractic adjustments. I haven't had one since way before the pandemic, and my body shows the signs. The virus has changed our lives in so many ways, hasn't it? Let's hope the vaccine(s) bring back some of what was good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that I could journey back in time with you, albeit a mere six months. So much has happened then around the world. I also love that you danced the Solstice in. We will do that in Bend Oregon come December 21st. Distanced and in masks. I love communing with my fellow elderwomen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas I won't be attending our December gathering this year, but others will be dancing our Summer Solstice in. I'll think of you as well as them.

      Delete
  13. Same here with the in and out of lockdown, which seems interminable. I love your Earth series, Rosemary. It's a bit like a gently recurring reality check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bev. I'm glad you're enjoying these things.

      Delete
  14. "...dancing the Solstice in" sounds like a perfect way to welcome winter, oops, summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do it at Summer Solstice too. And the Equinoxes.

      Delete
  15. Such a joyous poem, filled with optimism for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny: I'm quite pessimistic until I look deeper, and then after all a different view emerges.

      Delete
  16. Yes! to feeling better and Yes! to dancing with your sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great, Rosemary. I savored those times and not the chiropractor. I've never been to one, Mrs. Jim had her back fixed by one. But he was in a clinic that our provider liked back then. Since our senior Medicare we can go any place unless we have joined a commercial plan. And the clinic has closed.
    We are just ready also for our Winter Solstice, it will be December here in the Northern Hemisphere. BTW, in 2013 we were cruising around N Z now, and left Sydney January 7, 2014.
    Thank you fore peeking in on me and for your nice comment about student note taking. I got good grades too on my second go around.
    ..,

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!