We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

28.6.20

Hello Earth #26


Hello Earth, dear Earth —

Here I am once more, on a dingy wet morning outside, cosily en-caved in here. I'm still in pyjamas, late in the morning. I think I’ll make this steadily-drizzling Sunday a stay-in-jarmies day. I've been playing with lipstick, a new tube in my favourite colour (I ran out of the old one quick). Odd, to be in my jarmies (+ cardigan and ugg boot slippers) with no make-up and bed hair, sporting lippy. But no-one is likely to see. And if they do — well, the bed hair looks surprisingly good today, curly all over. I wanted to try what this paint-on lippy felt like without the accompanying gloss. It felt tacky, so the gloss is now on too. (Well, no sense wiping the lippy off instead; this one's hard to remove, designed to last all day.)

Earth, you can tell I’m feeling relaxed and silly, positively frivolous. All the serious stuff about life in general is still going on, out there beyond the cave walls, but for today it can stay there. Sometimes a woman needs to be a girl.

Leaning in, I contemplate what other pleasantly shallow things I might do today (having already spent much of the morning playing on Instagram). I might make fudge. (My online poet friend Bev sent me the very easy – even for me – recipe and I’ve now got the ingredients.) I’ll definitely read some more of a romantic comedy series I’m devouring. (Julia Kent, laugh-out-loud funny). I might find something pleasantly mindless on telly. (No, NOT reality TV! How anyone can watch that.... Much too mindless even for me, even in ‘day off’ mode.)

Listing gratitudes, I admit I am sometimes selfishly grateful for First World problems like what to watch on TV. I’m grateful today for the rain; and that it’s Sunday, when it’s legit to tell the world to go away if we feel like it ... those of us who have that luxury. And there! I’ve switched the mood. It’s not for long we can ignore the wider reality, or tell ourselves we’re unconnected to it.
   A car on the street sounds as if it’s right on my front veranda as someone unseen opens and shuts the door, starts up and drives away. Another reminder that we are all more closely connected than we think. I know by the sound which house it was parked outside, and so I have an idea what the driver might look like, and I know that driver is a guest, not family. (Family cars are parked in the garage, not on the street.) All this I know by hearing alone ... no, not alone, combined with memory.

Offering up these speculations, I choose to abandon them. Instead I think about making that fudge.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bev's fudge recipe

The fudge, which Bev and I have both written of a few times now, turned out excellent! Here, with her permission, is Bev's recipe:

"I use Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk, one 14 oz can.  You may not have that brand available in Oz.   I prefer milk chocolate chips, some people prefer semi-sweet.   I have tried one of each (12 oz package), and I have tried one of chocolate and one of peanut butter chips.  The recipe is very forgiving.  Usually I add some walnut pieces, but that's optional. It's such a quick and easy recipe.  I've used tons of it for Christmas gifts.


I put the milk in a microwavable bowl, stir in the morsels, and nuke it for 1-2 minutes (depends on microwave) until chips have melted, stir in 1 tsp of vanilla and pour in 8x8 dish.  Chill until set. (Some people also stir in 1/3 cup butter, but I feel it's rich enough without)."

[In Australia, I did have to use a different brand of condensed milk approximately the same size, and needed two choc chip packets as ours are smaller. Also, lacking an 8x8 dish, I used a rectangular pan of similar size.  First time around I didn't think to line it with baking paper so had to tip it upside down and run hot water over it to get the fudge out! I have now made this fudge with dark chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate. The white choc gives a softer texture. Although dark is my favourite in every other circumstance, not here: milk choc seems to taste more fudgy somehow. But they're all yummy. I agree with Bev about the butter: it's already rich enough!]


Sharing all this with Writers' Pantry #32 at Poets and Storytellers United.

33 comments:


  1. Sometimes a woman needs to a girl, for sure. And when I am, I' m grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, something to be grateful for – a luxury, really.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes a woman needs to be a girl... oh I feel that especially of late with some unusual (for me) music indulgences!!! Love this Sunday morning rumination... would love to taste some of that fudge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, I need to explore some musical indulgences too!

      Delete
  3. Making fudge in your jimmies sounds like a good plan for a rainy day

    ReplyDelete
  4. By which I mean jammies - darn auto correct

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL knew what you meant. Yes, it was a great way to spend the day.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this, Rosemary! 💝 Bev's recipe sounds delicious enough to eat off the screen haha 😃 I will be trying it out soon. I agree, it's good to be mellow sometimes! We need respite from the chaos surrounding us. It's a pleasant afternoon here. The temperature had dropped significantly thanks to a whole week of thunderstorm, it's no longer hot and humid. I love trying out lipstick/lipgloss shades myself and recently purchased my favorite shade online. I am grateful for online shopping especially at times like these when we are at home. Hope your Sunday is wonderful! Sending love 💝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so grateful for online shopping myself, now that we are advised to stay home as much as possible!

      Delete
  6. LOL, I've had makeup play time more than once during quarantine. I've fooled around with some really dramatic looks, stuff I normally wouldn't wear out. I think we need to take the time to find some silly/ fun things more than ever for our mental health. I know they've brightened my outlook enormously when I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is fun to do all that, and I do believe good for our mental health.

      Delete
  7. Hi Rosemary, that fudge recipe sure is making me salivate. and your writing for this week is just so whimsical and enjoyable to read. such nice play on words. anyway, Happy Sunday from here in the US. enjoy your fudge and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am grateful for those days when I let myself just be. I think that unhappiness (and possibly madness *not the right sort, cough*) is brewed in eternal reality cauldrons. Everyone can use a version of lippy and fudge days. The alternative isn't healthy for humanity (or the world).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it is when much of life is stressful and scary that it's more important than ever to take time to be silly and self-indulgent.

      Delete
  9. Happy fudge making.

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am one of those who buy lip balms and lip glosses even when I have some. I totally get the idea of wearing lip gloss with jammies. Lip gloss is uplifting. Ok. Enough about that.

    Yes we cannot ignore the world around us for long but we can always make ourselves some good food to give us some respite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a good mantra for days when I am feeling frivolous: 'Lip gloss is uplifting'. And indeed, so it is!

      Delete
  11. I love the gentle witnessing of ordinary life in this meditation, Rosemary! Wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds just perfect! Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's something special about lazy days with no constraints, getting dressed or not, getting up early or not, eating when hungry and not when it's time, and so on. And, you scamp, now I'm hungry for fudge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, the girl in me giggled at being called a scamp.

      Delete
  14. I really enjoyed reading this, and thank you for sharing the recipe for the fudge. :) I might make some soon for my family (or maybe just for me ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! So many people expressed interest in the fudge in response to Bev's and my other writings, I thought it was time we shared the recipe.

      Delete
  15. I'm glad that you remind us that an escape once in a while is still permitted, yes? I look forward to having a pause soon, very soon, or I shall go mad.
    In the meantime, thank you for sharing your peaceful pause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even a brief escape is healthy, I think. Perhaps we should be thinking briefly and often, and consisting of simple things, rather than one great big fancy holiday after a long interval.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for inviting me in to your snugly Sunday. Even in Covid Texas I need those moments of letting a woman be a girl.

    ReplyDelete


  17. There’s nothing like thoughts fudge to ruin my diet!😂. Thank you for sharing this 😊

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!