We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

26.2.18

Beached, Low Tide


For the (fictional) series, "Edges"
His Voice 


Beached, Low Tide

Coy, tiny crabs
hide in their tide-bared tunnels
whose marks pucker but don't despoil
the shell-scattered sand.
The only annoying thing on this beach
is the one smelly blowfish. Inside the corpse
poison is still coiled.
Or so we say, using this fact
to frighten fascinated boys
into leaving it alone.

My boat is buoyed at anchor
just out there.
My lucky coin is in my pocket,
my duffel bag's packed –
but I can't find a ploy to persuade myself
out again across the bar
where the hoity-toity young daredevils go.
To gaze and dream but stay moored is safer.
(Never say joyless.) On the turn of the tide
I head inland.


23/4/18 Linking to Poets United's Poetry Pantry #400

12 comments:

  1. I love this one, Rosemary. I especially like the turning and heading inland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it again, even more, this time around. I dont venture where I did when I was younger any more either. Being on the shore, but with far-reaching vision, works just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been beached at low tide picnicking on an island having a wonderful time. ( drift wood logs repeatedly from back to front, eventually got into water that rinsed the muck off our knees and sneakers, sandals were lost : )
    As you have written so well... so life goes on. A wonderful metaphor for me.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not much can go wrong with that lucky coin in your pocket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whets my desire for days at the beach--just a few more weeks. Lovely 😄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adventure is always tempting whatever ones age; luckily tact more attractive as options are weighed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. perhaps the scene is too idyllic that it deters adventure?
    lovely imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely Rosemary. The story sweetly engages the imagination. I can see that beach and He making his decision to go inland - explore lands unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this especially the turning and heading inland!💜

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my head, I can see the faces of the boys--curious, weary, defiant. I do hope they leave the creature alone. And that the mooring doesn't last long...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes you just have to stay safe...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the image at the shore... the blowfish and the lucky coin.. a great combo

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!