We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

8.2.18

NaHaiWriMo 2018 Week 1


NaHaiWriMo 2018 Week 1

Every year on facebook Michael Dylan Welch hosts National Haiku Writing Month (the shortest verse form on the shortest month) – except it's really international. Participants write at least one haiku a day, to prompts (which I often find challenging). Senryu are also permitted. We don't HAVE to write to the prompts, but I usually do; I think it's part of the fun. I'm sharing mine here as well, a week at a time.  


PROMPT #1: BITING INTO A TACO

that rich taste
the nearest I’ll get
to Mexico


PROMPT #2: RAILWAY TIES

from the road
hot metal shimmers –
disused line


PROMPT #3: GREEK COFFEE

Greek coffee –
sunshine remembered
in dripping rain


PROMPT #4: CREAM CHEESE WITH CHIVES

poetic –
creamy white page
punctuated


PROMPT #5: LISTENING TO THE RADIO


my father
intent on the war news –
clenched fists


PROMPT #6: CUTTING THE LAWN

the grass grows 
too high too fast –
Summer rain


PROMPT #7: WRAPPED IN A QUILT, WATCHING A METEOR SHOWER

8 of Wands –
move swiftly
from the doona













8 of Wands is the card of Swiftness. The arrows in the Rider-Waite-Smith deck and decks inspired by it always put me in mind of a meteor shower.  (This is from my copy of the Robin Wood deck.)

25 comments:

  1. I especially love the remembered sunshine on a day of rain. These are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the one with cream cheese with chives. Punctuated indeed.
    I also like thinking about biting into a taco. Mexico definitely is a fest of different tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the one with the Greek coffee!💞 I wonder what it might taste like... Beautifully penned, Rosemary!💞

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never eaten a taco, Rosemary, so this one intrigued me. I might have to try one - vegetarian, if they make them.
    I really enjoyed the hot metal shimmering in railway ties and:
    'poetic –
    creamy white page
    punctuated'
    delicious cream cheese with chives!


    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful spill of memories - hard to pick a favourite each one compliments the other

    ReplyDelete
  6. This gave me the urge to do some myself, but with other prompt sites waiting I'll have to pass!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Food makes a wonderful ambassador. At least our tongues get that opportunity to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful! They pack a powerful punch with just a few words. The Greece haiku was my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Greek coffee does it for me too - although I do like all.
    And I agree about the taco!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Each one is a little story.. the railway lines especially talked to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed all of these. The Greek coffee is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful collection! I tried to join but the facebook link wasn't working. Perhaps I'll have another look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been some difficulties with the fb connection. I just tried to sign you up but couldn't. I will mention it to Michael, the admin, in case he can fix it.

      Delete
  13. I loved all of these brilliant haiku/senryu. 'Railway Ties' - for me, I think- is particularly nuanced and carried my mind into a plethora of metaphoric realms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some real gems here. 1,4 and 8 my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A splurge of memorable happenings. It adds on as a spice of blessings to one given such
    privileges!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  16. all beautiful little gems! the one about the taco is so witty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. #6 may be my favorite. GOOD haikus, like these, fascinate me. You are forced to be so vivid, and you lived up to the task with each poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the praise! The prompts have been very challenging, but perhaps that helps one write better.

      Delete
  18. so cool, love seeing the prompts and then your interpretation. makes you love them more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. never heard of the facebook event, cool. love your haikus

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!