We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

22.2.18

The Bookworm

For the (fictional) series, "Edges"
Her voice



The Bookworm


A studious girl, preferring books to people,
she took stories to bed with her, not boys.
You'd have thought that hers was a Puritan soul,
she appeared so shy and quiet, so unworldly.

But she was plotting to lure, in time, her own prince,
charming him to her side, away from all others.
"Shoo!" she said loud in her head, to imaginary rivals. 

Immersed in her books, she would yet contradict them.
She told herself she would not need a shoe of glass, 
a golden coach, a glorious gown, or any such fairy illusion.

They, she knew, were ephemeral as a young girl's
first loveliness. No, she would cast a different spell, 
loop herself around his heart with ropes of reality, lasting.

What became of the girl on her bed with a book?
The fuel of her dreams was torched by her reading
to create a blaze of desire and realisation, still burning.

There is room in life to go to the edge of thought
and weave it into a serious longing, then use that as a basket
holding real bricks, for your house with strong walls, your good roof.


[A self-portrait? Not in every respect, though some details match. I was and am a bookworm, but not this bookworm.]


Linking to Poets United's Poetry Pantry #399

20 comments:

  1. go to the edge of thought
    and weave it into a serious longing... love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A magical write - reminded me of The Never Ending Story and the peace that can be found in the kinship of words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, those childish dreams and longings are best left behind as life's experiences teach a little more than story books (that just wet our appetite for more) which we often discover for ourselves.
    I am sure we may give similar advice from our own experiences Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this poem immensely, Rosemary, and I can see a lot of myself in it - not the Puritan soul though :) I found my prince but still prefer books to people - and these lines definitely apply to me:
    'She told herself she would not need a shoe of glass,
    a golden coach, a glorious gown, or any such fairy illusion'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Bookworm salute* I think I may have met her or a close sister of hers at my library a time or two. Bookworms all have their own sorts of wriggles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think most in the end will go for the one who can provide some security: a home, income, and maybe love. pragmatism most times will top dreams.
    an intriguing poem, Rosemary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love "There is room in life to go to the edge of thought"... it somehow reassures me that we are capable of more than we think we are 💜

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to smile that she was confident enough to cast her own reality spell. Now that was magical.

    loop herself around his heart with ropes of reality, lasting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful read. I am a voracious reader, too. I especially love the basket of bricks for strong walls and good roof.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can definitely see you in this portrait, Rosemary, even though I realize it is not a self-portrait. I like the ending...with the house with strong walls!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. interesting poem with some real questions and thoughts... "What became of the girl on her bed with a book? " this line makes you want an answer

    ReplyDelete
  12. "What became of the girl on the bed with a book?" ... a question we may ask ourselves often! A thoughtful and entertaining read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love books too...My youngest son loves to buy me books for the holidays...and I cherish them :) Lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well you had me looking for your phone # holding a book in one hand and a rose in the other. hehe
    Good write!
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a tender story. I love so many of the lines here especially: "There is room in life to go to the edge of thought and weave it into a serious longing". I could see pieces of myself in this girl too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed reading this. The perspective it is written from, as well as the content, brought to my mind Edith Wharton's novel, The Age of Innocence: “We can't behave like people in novels, though, can we?”

    ReplyDelete
  17. A tribute to all bookworms..of which I'm one. Enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really enjoyed the way the final stanzas felt so active & the linked the reading with the bricks & fire. :) Great inspiration for the week!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!