We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

2.3.18

Hut at the Edge of the Forest


For the (fictional) series, "Edges".
His Voice 


Hut at the Edge of the Forest

To haul myself along this river –
hauling the oars repeatedly
over and over, bending and straightening,
pulling from the shoulders –

is more obligation than pleasure,
more a habit of falling into rhythm,
the body accustomed, than a welcome
dance of arms and boat and water.

But it serves. Forthwith I am there.
My spirits always brighten on arrival –
just as if you would greet me ... as if 
you'd still be there waiting, coming to meet....

This poor, bare shack isn't home. Not now.
Home is the ocean and the lonely shore.
But this is a shelter sometimes required.
I can live with that necessity.

Besides, they are short winters here,
even though stormy. I can be under a roof
for a few weeks; I can tolerate walls.
As for your ghostly presence ...

The flaw in this argument is that you
are no ghost at all, not in the real sense.
Yet you ghost in my head as though 
you were dead. You might as well be.

I'm as forlorn without you either way:
uncomforted at night, dreading morning.
Still I go about my business. I am efficient
in the practicalities of this existence.

And for sure, there are pleasurable moments,
if not as before – the small moments
involving creatures of land or sea,
or sky, which holds the whole together.

In the gauzy wing of a dragonfly
or the light filtering slowly, in stripes
and irregular patches, down through
the tall trees of the rainforest,

in the rustling of insects in the dry leaves
underfoot, the calls of currawongs
flying over unseen, or the caw of a crow ...
sometimes I can find peace.

It's a gorgeous world still. I try
to live in it as if it were not also sordid,
tainted, wrong. In this corner where so few
intrude, I can keep some illusion.


Linked to Poets United's Poetry Pantry #405

23 comments:

  1. I LOVE this, and live somewhat in the manner of the narrator, graced by dragonfly and rainforest, keeping the sordid at bay as best i can. I can see that shack, in which he or she ekes out a sparse existence. So well done. I like this series of poems you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting the idea there are two voices, one male and one female. This one feels like "He".

      Delete
  2. I identify with the idea that no matter how difficult the journey it always brightens one's eyes when one arrives. And, yes, it is a gorgeous world....we have to appreciate that, despite the fact that SO much is tainted / wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try
    to live in it as if it were not also sordid,
    tainted, wrong. In this corner where so few
    intrude, I can keep some illusion.... resonates deeply.. also
    Still I go about my business. I am efficient
    in the practicalities of this existence.

    Life goes on... and yet...! You've said it wonderfully, effortlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the shift fro the heaviness of 'hauling the oars repeatedly' to the spirits brightening on arrival. I also love the lines:
    '...you ghost in my head as though
    you were dead. You might as well be';
    '...the gauzy wing of a dragonfly
    or the light filtering slowly, in stripes';
    and
    '...the rustling of insects in the dry leaves
    underfoot, the calls of currawongs
    flying over unseen, or the caw of a crow'.
    I will have to look up currawongs and find out what the calls sound like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Edge series, Rosemary!💜 each new poem evokes such deep insight and emotion. Especially like; "I'm as forlorn without you either way uncomforted at night, dreading morning"... it's difficult trying to get through each day alone as we manage to find our footing.. 💜

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mythical feel of this poem Roemary with the link to the sea and the forest and the oneness of nature. The world is so ugly now I often dream of what it was like when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes clinging to illusions is the only way to survive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a hauntingly beautiful piece....I adore the end as it speaks such truth of all of us trying to live in our corner of the world without to many intrusions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back for another read. This is such a beautiful poem, Rosemary! Gorgeous imagery, a pared-down existence, the lonely shore....and the haunting absence, which is a presence in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can almost feel the sun on and the excretion in my shoulders. I'm thinking about the idea of making the ocean and shore my home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this poem... you have made your character come alive... I think about the old man and sea while reading this..

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful, if haunted, voice. The narrator still sees nature's beauty while living in purgatory. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the last stanza really hit home... I can identify with all of this... marvelous write..

    ReplyDelete
  14. For as long as she can get some pleasure out of it, the work will continue to be worth the pain...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not good, not bad, it just is. And we do carry our ghosts with us, where ever we go. We might as well get used to it. In somethings there is no mystery. Perhaps we are the mystery, and why are we so?

    ReplyDelete
  16. "But it serves"--could be part of every stanza here, because the loss is so palpable. How we go on living, surprising ourselves--and feeling very blessed--when something goes deeper than that. And sometimes--in my experience--it is easier to deal with the loss off death than other kinds of absences. (I never thought I'd say that aloud.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these poems. I especially like the resigned voice in this one, he in his shack looking at the world to be better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting and well written.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is wonderful! I loved every word of this brilliant, relatable piece. 'I am efficient in the practicalities of this existence' deeply resonated with me. We - all of us - go about the business of living and yet, regardless of whatever perfunctory task we may be involved in, there is a huge 'backstory' going on.

    A lovely, melodic and mesmerizing piece with a fantastic close.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love the sense of adventure in this poem. gorgeous descriptions.
    it could be the world out of a video game. or the world of another planet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many thanks to everyone for the very kind comments.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!