We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

19.3.18

Saint Patrick and the Snakes



Saint Patrick and the Snakes

So he ran the snakes from Ireland?  
So they say.
A jolly fellow, was he?
Raise your glass!
We can toast the lovely Saint
with happy unrestraint –
but as for me believing
all that Blarney,
no, I'll pass.

Did not the snakes of Ireland
slip away?
Were all the Druids butchered
wantonly?
See, I think all that's as maybe,
for where the woods are shady,
aren’t the Sidhe still roaming 
wild and free –
and aren’t we?

The Pagan “snakes” of Ireland
sneak to play
between the trees in moonlight,
cloaked in grey,
and underneath the hill
you might hear the singing still –
except it’s very secret.
But we never
went away.


At "imaginary garden with real toads" the weekend challenge is Blarney Me – anything about Ireland and/or St Patrick's Day. Well, as you see, I have a bit of a quarrel with the saint. Now, I don't have any Irish ancestry that I know of, and have never even been there, so I also don't know if there are any Pagans in Ireland nowadays. But I'll bet my bottom dollar there are! 

16 comments:

  1. No doubt there is much persecution of the old gods caged in Christian mythology. I would hope that some of those 'snakes' still abide in the old country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's not really gone... no saint can ever change the call of those songs. (same here in Sweden)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best St Patrick poem I have ever read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been able to forgive Patrick for banishing those snakes, nor Catholicism for what it did to the Irish spirit ... Yet if Christendom claims the upper half, the divine musical sweet wild lower half is that Sidhe, and it's more powerful and entrancing in exile for me. The heart and the ear remain loyal to those snakes. Thank for this song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! I think the druids (and some snakes) may have gone to Australia! And some are hidden away all kinds of places. Thanks, Rosemary. k.

    ReplyDelete
  6. back in teh eighties, when I lived in Ireland, the Sidhe were still roaming
    wild and free, and below the hill of Tara we often heard singing! Nicely done, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to receive this confirmation! Thank you.

      Delete
  7. I like the Catholicism mixed with the old ways - I think the blending of culture and religion is fascinating... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is a fascinating country altogether – and beautiful, I hear.

      Delete
  8. "We" never slithered away. Nice to hear from one, Rosemary. You told it well. I'd always heard it, about the snakes there, was all FAKE News. A fun read, really fun.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe they are there. It takes a bit of blarney and faith to catch them from the corner of your eye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What would Ireland be without a few pagans?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Much before Flicks, TV and other entertainment storytelling was the thing. So sitting round a fire someone would make up a story to please the kids and even the other adults there. For every advance that's made we lose a lot! Your poem had that feeling. Long live poets and other story tellers...but mainly us as we are so prolific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy your retelling. I've always believed the snakes were smallish dragons. Glad they are not gone after all.
    Mary (cactus haiku)

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!