We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

29.3.18

Washed Up


For the (fictional) series "Edges"
Narrator's voice



Washed Up

They share a story, these two,
who were lovers briefly, once,
and since then have travelled far.
Where they have been, what done,
they cannot know of each other – 
it's been so long. But sometimes,
when she combs her hair, does she
remember him running his fingers
through it, and under its fall on her neck, 
before drawing her face gently to his?

Of course she does! And prays 
to Mother Mary that he is well,
wherever in the world he may be.
As he too, staring out at the sea, 
doing his own remembering, fervently
wishes that she may be happy 
somewhere (sigh). A foghorn blares
across the bay. He startles 
out of that old dream, shivering,
and puts the memories away.

They see themselves, each of them,
as old and wise – poor scared children
breathing, separately, the rarefied air 
of their refuges along this lonely shore.
He plays guitar. It's more immediate
than the piano he learned as a boy.
As for her, when she wants to tear a hole
in present reality, to find her own soul,
she sketches tiny pictures with charcoal –
a leaf, a gauzy dragonfly, a quick fairy....


Linking to Poets United's Midweek Motif ~ Treasure, on the basis that the poem speaks of these characters' treasured memories.

20 comments:

  1. Well, this narrator might very well be me, and my old lost love. So i loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved it!

      I didn't mean the narrator to be one of the characters, but rather the omniscient observer. I felt I needed to stand outside the characters a bit, for once, to explain them a little more clearly.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, I see now, I love that omniscient observer! She is wise.

      Delete
  2. What is so sad is that their love is left unfulfilled leaving them to contemplate the" what ifs" and "whatevers" of their lives. I have a comfortable relation with my first girlfriend from more that 60 years ago who lives on the other side of the world. It is good to chat about everything under the sun as both our partners have died and now that our paths have crossed again it is a bonus: a feeling that we never parted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poem has such beautiful story elements. Wonderful character sketch here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it's a wonderful character sketch. My favourite lines are:
    '...when she wants to tear a hole
    in present reality, to find her own soul,
    she sketches tiny pictures with charcoal –
    a leaf, a gauzy dragonfly, a quick fairy....'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I/'m glad. Thank you. They were the most difficult!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Totally compelling! And I like the faith of it, that each remembers through the veil of present reality, but has different techniques for the rising feelings. I put myself into the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok this whole story is breaking my heart haha im serious, its sooo sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You tell such a lovely story. I think I discreetly treasure memories of that first love. Please don't tell my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect that many of us have one we still secretly treasure (even while knowing it wouldn't have worked).

      Delete
  8. this piece I can definitely relate to... brought back some memories from the past

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good indeed Rosemary ... beautifully expressed (comme d'habitude) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect portraits of two older souls. They feel real enough to be able to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this happens more often that we like to say. Old memories return when least expected. I am grateful for those that don't come any more. Wish I could erase them, like the blackboard at school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice classical aspect in this love story. Nice poem

    EASTER BLESSINGS

    much love...

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!