We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

18.7.19

Birthing Perfume












Birthing Perfume
(the scent of the frangipani)

Suddenly I see, my frangipani –
which has grown wide and high in my nine years
living here and claiming I have any
right of ownership – startlingly appears,
the first time I’ve seen (else I’m unawares)
to have sprouted a giant phallic symb-
ol. But quite the opposite: it’s a womb!
It’s a great, hardly-ever-happens pod 
full of new seeds, high up on a limb.…
New trees, heaven-scented, will rise to God.


Written for Poets United's Midweek Motif ~ Perfume. Frangipani (plumeria) flowers have one of my favourite scents, and at present the winter bareness of mine reveals this new development, so weird and surprising that I Googled it and made the discovery I write of above. 

As I'm a guest presenter at dVerse over the next few weeks, featuring Poetry Form: Dizain, I decided to write this poem in that form. I always thought the dizain came easily to me – not this time, lol! But I hope the eccentricities of this piece are at least interesting. Perhaps they match the present strange, misshapen look of my tree!

25 comments:

  1. That last line - changes the whole poem... wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "New trees, heaven-scented, will rise to God" beautiful
    Had to laugh about that symbol
    I love the frangipani I saw them in Tonga in the Pacific So you must be living in a tropical area

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an intereesting read. We should never be surprised how other living things live and procreate for each has found a way that will preserve their species. Pity humans have been so productive quite regardless of our poor ability to cater for all future demands. Not tried a Dizain form...it's hard enough writing free verse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think over-population has contributed to many of our present problems.

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely exquisite, Rosemary!๐Ÿ’– I love the idea of "New trees, heaven-scented, will rise to God." You have given perfume a whole new meaning in this poem ๐Ÿ˜Š Thank you so much for writing to the prompt.๐Ÿ’–

    ReplyDelete
  5. The closing line says it all. Beautiful. Love that photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the picture. It enhanced your lovely words and the wonderful last line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! How cool! Love the photo, too. How interesting that its seeds come in a pod.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the photo and that last line is spectacular Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The smell of frangipani is wonderful. You can break a bit of branch off...stick it in a pot and they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What comes to mind, when I think of frangipani is spring. And I agree, that last sentence is just wonderful. The form, dizain, is also something of an intrigue. I've never heard but I'll sure be trying it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even the name is exotic. Beautiful poem, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is like a beautiful Zen poem...Frangipani flowers are symbols of a new life and new beginning!!Lovely Rosemary ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful poem. Some years ago. There was an island drive to making local perfumes in St Georges Grenada. I remember buying Fraganipani.

    Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much❤๐Ÿ•Š❤love

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only frangipani I have ever seen was at Kew Gardens. How lucky you are to have such a wonderful plant in your garden, Rosemary. The flowers are so delicate and yet they exude such a powerful perfume. I can only imagine how your garden must smell!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I really like the idea of something being heaven-scented rather than heaven-sent. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting, almost like it is a plant from another planet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I admit that I giggled like a high school sophomore at some of the "parts", and I loved the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the way you used punctuation and word division as well as the conversational tone. It gives an atmosphere of pulling another into your wonder and joy at what you have discovered. It also sends a message that this form doesn't need to be stuffy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the smell of that flower and how beautiful to see it rise up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The poem branches, like the plant!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the frangipani fragrance and the way you make the syllables jump lines. Works well and is a fun way to tackle this form.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!