We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

14.7.19

The Bracelet In This Photograph
















The Bracelet in This Photograph

This trinket here displayed
larger than life-size, on
my larger-than-life-size freckled wrist,
is no mere ornament.
Though I bought it on eBay very cheap,
it’s a treasure; and although it’s made
of common things like wood,
leather, metal, and either glass 
or hard shiny plastic, it’s a gem.

The large, staring eye looks back
at any ill-wishing gaze that might
approach, invade or damage me.
It mirrors and deflects 
all possible intentional harm, after first 
discerning same. It is a radar,
it is a shield, it is a weapon, it is a spell –
this strange and quirky, pretty little
trinket (as you think it).


For the Just One Word: Trinket prompt at 'imaginary garden with real toads.' And directly inspired by one of Magaly Guerrero's Instagram posts on a similar bracelet.


11 comments:

  1. It is so very cool - I like it as a protector -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosemary, this all powerful trinket is priceless. I'm thinking the former owner didn't know of its capabilities or they never would have sold it. (Actually, I think it's a very pretty piece.)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim, I think it's pretty too. I stumbled across it while looking for something else entirely, and fell in love. It has not had a previous owner; this design is manufactured especially for selling on eBay.

      Delete
  3. Never a bad thing to have protection against the evil eye, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose there are two things here; the confidence you get from wearing it and the sheer delight of having found such an attractive ornament; aka Protector!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s an amazing bracelet, Rosemary! I’ve never bought anything on eBay although I know people who sell things on it. I love the way it’s made of so many materials – and still a gem. The eye certainly looks like it can keep evil at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool, the protection. That big eye looking up is a bit unnerving, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh I really love this, Rosemary! I could use that kind of protection. I would flash it a lot, I think. Hahaha. Kind of like armor, like something Captain Marvel would wear. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just search 'evil eye bracelet' on eBay for this and many variations.

      Delete
  8. That's a marvelous bracelet Rosemary. When I was in Greece, I bought a tiny necklace charm that is a protector against the evil eye. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I imagine that eye throws off some while it keeps you safe. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!